NEUMANN G, Macken CA, Kawaoka Y. Identification of amino acid changes that may have been critical for the genesis of A(H7N9) influenza viruses. J Virol. 2014 Feb 12
Novel influenza A viruses of the H7N9 subtype [A(H7N9)] emerged in the spring of 2013 in China and have infected 163 people as of January 10, 2014; fifty of them died of the severe respiratory infection caused by these viruses. Phylogenetic studies have indicated that the novel A(H7N9) viruses emerged from reassortment of H7, N9 and H9N2 viruses. Inspections of protein sequences from A(H7N9) virusesand their immediate predecessorsrevealed several amino acid changes in A(H7N9) viruses that may have facilitated transmission and replication in the novel host.Since mutations that occurred more ancestrally may also have contributed to the genesis of A(H7N9) viruses,weinferred historical evolutionary events leading to the novel viruses. We identified a number ofamino acid changes on the evolutionary path to A(H7N9) viruses, including substitutions that may be associated with host range, replicative ability, and/or host responses to infection. The biological significance of these amino acid changes can be tested in future studies.
The novel influenza A viruses of the H7N9 subtype [A(H7N9)], which first emerged in the spring of 2013, cause severe respiratory infections in humans. Here, we performed a comprehensive evolutionary analysis of the progenitors of A(H7N9) viruses to identify amino acid changes thatmay have been critical for the emergence of A(H7N9) viruses and their ability to infect humans. We provide a list of potentially important amino acid changes which can be tested for their significance in influenza virus host range, replicative ability, and/or host responses to infection.
- Development of a Monoclonal Antibody-Based Antigen Capture Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay for Detection of H7N9 Subtype Avian Influenza Virus 13 hours ago
- Development of A4 Antibody for Detection of Neuraminidase I223R/H275Y-associated Antiviral Multidrug-Resistant Influenza Virus 13 hours ago
- Modelling Analysis Revealed the Distinct Global Transmission Patterns of Influenza A Viruses and Their Influencing Factors 2 days ago
- Identification of Optimal Sample Collection Devices and Sampling Locations for the Detection Environmental Viral Contamination in Wire Poultry Cages 3 days ago
- SOCS3-deficient Lung Epithelial Cells Uptaking Neutrophil-Derived SOCS3 Worsens Lung Influenza Infection 3 days ago