TARASOV SA, Zarubaev VV, Gorbunov EA, Sergeeva SA,. Activity of ultra-low doses of antibodies to gamma-interferon against lethal influenza A(H1N1)2009 virus infection in mice. Antiviral Res. 2011.
The influenza A virus is a highly infective agent that causes acute pulmonary diseases. In serious cases, it causes pneumonia which is particularly fatal in patients with cardiopulmonary diseases, obesity, young children and elderly people. The present study shows a protective effect of ultra-low doses of purified antibodies to gamma-interferon (Anaferon for children?, AC?) against lethal influenza virus infection caused by pandemic influenza virus A(H1N1) in mice.
Balb/c mice were infected with mouse-adapted pandemic influenza virus A/California/07/09 (H1N1)v. Mortality, weight loss, infectious titer of the virus in lungs and lung morphology were monitored in the groups of AC?-, oseltamivir- and placebo-treated animals.
The protective action of AC? was demonstrated by prolongation of life of the infected animals, reduction of infectious titer of the virus in the lung tissue, normalization of weight dynamics in the course of disease, decrease in mortality of treated animals compared to a placebo control and normalization of lung tissue structure. The protective activity of AC? was similar to that of the reference compound oseltamivir. Combination of AC? with oseltamivir resulted in a higher protective effect comparing to oseltamivir alone.
Based on the results obtained, AC? should be considered as an important part of anti-influenza prophylaxis and therapy, in particular in severe cases of the disease.
- Identification of key hemagglutinin residues responsible for cleavage, acid stability, and virulence of fifth-wave highly pathogenic avian influenza A(H7N9) viruses 12 hours ago
- The PB2 and M genes of genotype S H9N2 virus contribute to the enhanced fitness of H5Nx and H7N9 avian influenza viruses in chickens 12 hours ago
- Molecular epidemiology and genetic characterization of influenza B virus in Lebanon during 2016~2018 12 hours ago
- Influenza A matrix protein M1 induces lipid membrane deformation via protein multimerization 12 hours ago
- A Homeostasis Hypothesis of Avian Influenza Resistance in Chickens 2 days ago