Eurosurveillance editorial office. Avian influenza A/(H7N2) outbreak in the United Kingdom. Eurosurveillance Vol 12, Issue 5
In accordance with UK policy, it was decided to offer antivirals to anyone who may have been exposed to the diseased poultry or had close contact with cases. By 30 May, 20 avian flu contacts had been identified who have or have had symptoms of an ILI or conjunctivitis. The National Public Health Service (NPHS) for Wales is using the following definitions of cases and contacts:
- A case is an individual with influenza-like illness (fever above 38° C, aches and pains, cough/head cold, sore throat or conjunctivitis) who has been in contact with affected premises or to known infected poultry (handling/within one metre) or close contact with another human case;
- A contact is defined as an individual who has been in contact with affected premises or with known infected poultry (handling/within one metre) or has had close contact with another person with confirmed or presumptive avian influenza.
As of 29 May, the NPHS had received microbiological test results from 12 patients in Wales. These were from swabs taken from the nose and throat and eyes. They were tested for the Influenza A viruses, including the H7 subtype that was isolated from the affected poultry. One test was positive for the H7 subtype and one for influenza A . Investigations are ongoing in the UK  and further results and updates will become available through the web-sites of the relevant authorities - the Health Protection Agency (www.hpa.org.uk), DEFRA (www.defra.gov.uk), the Welsh Assembly Government (www.wales.gov.uk) and the NPHS for Wales (www.nphs.wales.nhs.uk).
The authors would like to acknowledge the input from Roland Salmon (NPHS), Kathrin Thomas (NPHS) and Carol Joseph (HPA).
- HPA. Confirmation of Avian Influenza H7N2 Infection. May 25 2007. Available from: http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/news/articles/press_releases/2007/070525_avian_flu_H7N2.htm
- DEFRA. Avian influenza (bird flu) confirmed in North Wales. 24 May 2007. Available from: http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/latest/2007/animal-0524.htm
- National Public Health Service for Wales. Avian Flu in North Wales. 29 May 2007. Available from: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/newsitem.cfm?contentid=6801
- DEFRA. Update on investigation into avian influenza outbreak in North Wales. 29 May 2007. Available from: http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/latest/2007/animal-0525.htm
- Effect of influenza H1N1 neuraminidase V116A and I117V mutations on NA activity and sensitivity to NA inhibitors 14 hours ago
- Detection of influenza D virus in bovine respiratory disease samples, U.K 14 hours ago
- A single amino acid change in hemagglutinin reduces the cross-reactivity of antiserum against an equine influenza vaccine strain 14 hours ago
- Early T-BET Expression Ensures an Appropriate CD8+ Lineage–Specific Transcriptional Landscape after Influenza A Virus Infection 14 hours ago
- Deep sequencing of 2009 influenza A/H1N1 virus isolated from volunteer human challenge study participants and natural infections 1 days ago