Alt JA, Bohnet S, Taishi P, Duricka D, Obal F Jr, Traynor T, Majde JA, Krueger JM. Influenza virus-induced glucocorticoid and hypothalamic and lung cytokine mRNA responses in dwarf lit/lit mice. Brain Behav Immun. 2005 Jun 9; [Epub ahead of print]
Alt JA, Bohnet S, Taishi P, Duricka D, Obal F Jr, Traynor T, Majde JA, Krueger JM.
Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology and Physiology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-6520, USA.
Influenza virus infection up-regulates cytokines such as interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) and activates the somatotropic axis and the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Mice with deficits in growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) signaling (lit/lit mice) respond to influenza virus challenge with a progressive decrease in sleep and lower survival rates. Current experiments characterize plasma glucocorticoid responses and hypothalamic and lung mRNA expression of sleep-related genes in lit/lit mice and their heterozygous controls after influenza virus challenge. lit/lit mice had higher basal and post-infection plasma corticosterone levels compared to controls. In contrast, the heterozygous mice increased hypothalamic GHRH-receptor, CRH-type 2 receptor, IL-1beta, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) mRNAs after virus treatment while the lit/lit mice failed to up-regulate these substances. In contrast, lung levels of IL-1beta and TNF-alpha mRNAs were greater in the lit/lit mice. These data are consistent with the hypothesis that the sleep response to influenza infection is mediated, in part, by an up-regulation of hypothalamic sleep-related transcripts and they also show that a primary deficit in GHRH signaling is associated with enhanced corticosterone secretion and attenuated hypothalamic cytokine response to infection.
- Rank orders of mammalian pathogenicity-related PB2 mutations of avian influenza A viruses 6 days ago
- The Human Lung Glycome Reveals Novel Glycan Ligands for Influenza A Virus 6 days ago
- Detection of H3N8 influenza A virus with multiple mammalian-adaptive mutations in a rescued Grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) pup 6 days ago
- Person-to-Person Transmission of Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Among Family Members in Eastern China, 2016 6 days ago
- Generation of neutralizing and non-neutralizing monoclonal antibodies against H7N9 influenza virus 13 days ago