White MR, Crouch E, Vesona J, Tacken PJ, Batenburg JJ, Leth-Larsen R, Holmskov U, Hartshorn KL. Respiratory Innate Immune Proteins Differentially Modulate the Neutrophil Respiratory Burst Response to Influenza A Virus. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2005 Jun 10; [Epub ahead of print]
White MR, Crouch E, Vesona J, Tacken PJ, Batenburg JJ, Leth-Larsen R, Holmskov U, Hartshorn KL.
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA.
Oxidants and neutrophils contribute to lung injury during influenza A virus (IAV) infection. Surfactant protein D plays a pivotal role in restricting IAV replication and inflammation in the first several days after infection. Despite its potent anti-inflammatory effects in vivo, pre-incubation of IAV with SP-D in vitro strongly increases neutrophil respiratory burst responses to the virus. Several factors are shown to modify this apparent pro-inflammatory effect of SP-D. Although multimeric forms of SP-D show dose-dependent augmentation of respiratory burst responses, trimeric, single-arm forms show either no effect or inhibit these responses. Furthermore, if neutrophils are pre-incubated with multimeric SP-D before adding IAV, oxidant responses to the virus are significantly reduced. The ability of SP-D to increase neutrophil uptake of IAV can be dissociated from enhancement of oxidant responses. Finally, several other innate immune proteins that bind to SP-D and/or IAV (i.e. SP-A, lung gp-340 or mucin) significantly reduce the ability of SP-D to promote neutrophil oxidant response. As a result, the net effect of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluids is to increase neutrophil uptake of IAV while reducing the respiratory burst response to virus.
- Rank orders of mammalian pathogenicity-related PB2 mutations of avian influenza A viruses 7 days ago
- The Human Lung Glycome Reveals Novel Glycan Ligands for Influenza A Virus 7 days ago
- Detection of H3N8 influenza A virus with multiple mammalian-adaptive mutations in a rescued Grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) pup 7 days ago
- Person-to-Person Transmission of Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Among Family Members in Eastern China, 2016 7 days ago
- Generation of neutralizing and non-neutralizing monoclonal antibodies against H7N9 influenza virus 13 days ago