Uchide N, Ohyama K, Bessho T, Toyoda H. Inhibition of influenza-virus-induced apoptosis in chorion cells of human fetal membranes by nordihydroguaiaretic Acid. Intervirology. 2005 Sep-Oct;48(5):336-40
Uchide N, Ohyama K, Bessho T, Toyoda H.
Department of Clinical Molecular Genetics, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, and Yoneyama Maternity Hospital, Tokyo, Japan.
Objectives: It has been postulated that the pathogenesis of influenza virus infection involves not only the virus-proliferation-mediated apoptotic cell death in infected cells, but also a direct reactive oxygen species (ROS)-induced cellular injury in the infected organs. We examined effects of an antioxidant, nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), on apoptosis induction and viral proliferation. Subsequently, the results were compared with those of pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC), another antioxidant. Methods: The levels of ROS production were measured with 2´,7´-dichlorofluorescein diacetate; apoptosis induction and viral proliferation were analyzed by DNA fragmentation and plaque-forming assays, respectively. Results: The treatment of infected cells with NDGA inhibited ROS overproduction, apoptotic DNA fragmentation and virus proliferation. The maximum inhibition against DNA fragmentation (76%) was observed with 500 muM NDGA. The antiviral activity of NDGA against influenza virus was more potent than that of PDTC. Conclusions: The present study, therefore, suggests for the first time that NDGA, a known antioxidant reagent, inhibits the induction of apoptosis in human fetal membrane chorion cells infected with influenza virus through the more potent antiviral activity than that of PDTC.
- Rank orders of mammalian pathogenicity-related PB2 mutations of avian influenza A viruses 6 days ago
- The Human Lung Glycome Reveals Novel Glycan Ligands for Influenza A Virus 6 days ago
- Detection of H3N8 influenza A virus with multiple mammalian-adaptive mutations in a rescued Grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) pup 6 days ago
- Person-to-Person Transmission of Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Among Family Members in Eastern China, 2016 6 days ago
- Generation of neutralizing and non-neutralizing monoclonal antibodies against H7N9 influenza virus 13 days ago