Folb PI, Bernatowska E, Chen R, Clemens J, Dodoo AN, Ellenberg SS,etc.,al. A global perspective on vaccine safety and public health: the global advisory committee on vaccine safety. Am J Public Health. 2004 Nov;94(11):1926-31
Folb PI, Bernatowska E, Chen R, Clemens J, Dodoo AN, Ellenberg SS, Farrington CP, John TJ, Lambert PH, Macdonald NE, Miller E, Salisbury D, Schmitt HJ, Siegrist CA, Wimalaratne O.
Medical Research Council, PO Box 19070, Tygerberg, 7505, Cape Town, South Africa. email@example.com.
Established in 1999, the Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety advises the World Health Organization (WHO) on vaccine-related safety issues and enables WHO to respond promptly, efficiently, and with scientific rigor to issues of vaccine safety with potential global importance. The committee also assesses the implications of vaccine safety for practice worldwide and for WHO policies. We describe the principles on which the committee was established, its modus operandi, and the scope of the work undertaken, both present and future. We highlight its recent recommendations on major issues, including the purported link between the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine and autism and the safety of the mumps, influenza, yellow fever, BCG, and smallpox vaccines as well as that of thiomersal-containing vaccines.
- A novel reassortant influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in swine in Shandong Province, eastern China 18 hours ago
- Nosocomial transmission of influenza: A retrospective cross-sectional study using next generation sequencing at a hospital in England (2012-2014) 18 hours ago
- Identification of a type-specific promoter element that differentiates between influenza A and B viruses 18 hours ago
- Safety and immunogenicity of investigational seasonal influenza hemagglutinin DNA vaccine followed by trivalent inactivated vaccine administered intradermally or intramuscularly in healthy adults: An 18 hours ago
- Effect of closure of live poultry markets in China on prevention and control of human infection with H7N9 avian influenza: a case study of four cities in Jiangsu Province 18 hours ago