Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S. Epidemics of two Victoria and Yamagata influenza B lineages in Yamagata, Japan. Epidemiol Infect. 2004 Aug;132(4):721-6
Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S.
Department of Microbiology, Yamagata Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tokamachi, Yamagata, Japan.
We attempted to predict epidemics of influenza B, focusing on B/Victoria/2/87-like (V) and B/Yamagata/16/88-like (Y) lineages, in Yamagata, Japan. We collected 9624 nasopharyngeal swabs for virus isolation from patients with respiratory infections between 1996 and 2003 and 237 sera for seroepidemiological analysis by haemagglutination-inhibition test in 2001. We isolated 424 V-lineage and 246 Y-lineage viruses during the study period. Three herald viruses in the 2000--2001 season enabled us to predict a V-lineage epidemic in the following season. However, another V-lineage epidemic occurred in the 2002--2003 season, although we caught four herald Y-lineage viruses, whose antigenic drift was suggested by seroepidemiological study, at the end of the previous season. Since the epidemiology of the two influenza B lineages remains unclear, a careful watch should be kept on these lineages in order to provide effective public-health strategies against future epidemics.
- Influenza D Virus: The Most Discreet (for the Moment?) of the Influenza Viruses 4 hours ago
- Evaluating the Relative Vaccine Effectiveness of Adjuvanted Trivalent Influenza Vaccine Compared to High-Dose Trivalent and Other Egg-Based Influenza Vaccines among Older Adults in the US during the 2 4 hours ago
- High-Speed AFM Reveals Molecular Dynamics of Human Influenza A Hemagglutinin and Its Interaction with Exosomes 4 hours ago
- Comparative analysis of clinical features and risk factors of severe pneumonia development in pediatric patients hospitalized with seasonal influenza or swine-origin influenza infection 5 hours ago
- Ecological factors associated with persistent circulation of multiple highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses among poultry farms in Taiwan during 2015~17 5 hours ago