Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S. Epidemics of two Victoria and Yamagata influenza B lineages in Yamagata, Japan. Epidemiol Infect. 2004 Aug;132(4):721-6
Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S.
Department of Microbiology, Yamagata Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tokamachi, Yamagata, Japan.
We attempted to predict epidemics of influenza B, focusing on B/Victoria/2/87-like (V) and B/Yamagata/16/88-like (Y) lineages, in Yamagata, Japan. We collected 9624 nasopharyngeal swabs for virus isolation from patients with respiratory infections between 1996 and 2003 and 237 sera for seroepidemiological analysis by haemagglutination-inhibition test in 2001. We isolated 424 V-lineage and 246 Y-lineage viruses during the study period. Three herald viruses in the 2000--2001 season enabled us to predict a V-lineage epidemic in the following season. However, another V-lineage epidemic occurred in the 2002--2003 season, although we caught four herald Y-lineage viruses, whose antigenic drift was suggested by seroepidemiological study, at the end of the previous season. Since the epidemiology of the two influenza B lineages remains unclear, a careful watch should be kept on these lineages in order to provide effective public-health strategies against future epidemics.
- Genetic Characterization of the First Detected Human Case of Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza A/H9N2 in sub-Saharan Africa, Senegal 19 hours ago
- Detection of Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus Subtype H10N7 in Poultry and Environmental Water Samples During a Clinical Outbreak in Commercial Free-Range Layers, Netherlands 2017 20 hours ago
- Mammalian Pathogenicity and Transmissibility of Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza H7N1 and H7N3 Viruses Isolated From North America in 2018 7 days ago
- Highly Pathogenic H7N9 Avian Influenza Virus Infection Associated With Up-Regulation of PD-1/PD-Ls Pathway-Related Molecules 7 days ago
- Influenza A Virus Utilizes Non-Canonical Cap-Snatching to Diversify Its mRNA/ncRNA 8 days ago