Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S. Epidemics of two Victoria and Yamagata influenza B lineages in Yamagata, Japan. Epidemiol Infect. 2004 Aug;132(4):721-6
Mizuta K, Itagaki T, Abiko C, Murata T, Takahashi T, Murayama S.
Department of Microbiology, Yamagata Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tokamachi, Yamagata, Japan.
We attempted to predict epidemics of influenza B, focusing on B/Victoria/2/87-like (V) and B/Yamagata/16/88-like (Y) lineages, in Yamagata, Japan. We collected 9624 nasopharyngeal swabs for virus isolation from patients with respiratory infections between 1996 and 2003 and 237 sera for seroepidemiological analysis by haemagglutination-inhibition test in 2001. We isolated 424 V-lineage and 246 Y-lineage viruses during the study period. Three herald viruses in the 2000--2001 season enabled us to predict a V-lineage epidemic in the following season. However, another V-lineage epidemic occurred in the 2002--2003 season, although we caught four herald Y-lineage viruses, whose antigenic drift was suggested by seroepidemiological study, at the end of the previous season. Since the epidemiology of the two influenza B lineages remains unclear, a careful watch should be kept on these lineages in order to provide effective public-health strategies against future epidemics.
- Molecular pathogenic and host range determinants of reassortant Egyptian low pathogenic avian influenza H9N2 viruses from backyard chicken 14 hours ago
- A novel framework for evaluating the impact of individual decision-making on public health outcomes and its potential application to study antiviral treatment collection during an influenza pandemic 14 hours ago
- A Risk Classification Model to Predict Mortality Among Laboratory-Confirmed Avian Influenza A H7N9 Patients: A Population-Based Observational Cohort Study 15 hours ago
- Development and evaluation of a conventional RT-PCR for differentiating emerging influenza B/Victoria lineage viruses with hemagglutinin amino acid deletion from B/Yamagata lineage viruses 3 days ago
- Comparative effectiveness of high dose versus adjuvanted influenza vaccine: A retrospective cohort study 5 days ago