Zhou Y, Du J, Wu JQ, Zhu QR, Xie MZ, Chen LY, Liu. Impact of influenza virus infection on lung microbiome in adults with severe pneumonia. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2023 Jun 2;22(1):43
Methods: Bronchoalveolar lavage fluid specimens were procured from patients diagnosed with severe pneumonia to investigate the microbiome utilizing 16S-rDNA sequencing. The alpha diversity of the microbiome was evaluated employing Chao1, Shannon, and Simpson indexes, while the beta diversity was assessed using principal component analysis and principal coordinate analysis. Linear discriminant analysis effect size (LEfSe) was employed to determine the taxonomic differences between the IFVP and IFVN groups.
Results: A total of 84 patients with 42 in the IFVP group and 42 in the IFVN group were enrolled. Slightly higher indexes of Shannon and Simpson were observed in the IFVP group without statistically significant difference. The dominant bacterial genera were Streptococcus, Klebsiella, Escherichia-Shigella in the IFVN group and Acinetobacter, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus in the IFVP group. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Acinetobacter baumannii were the most abundant species in the IFVN and IFVP groups, respectively. LEfSe analysis indicated a greater abundance of Klebsiella in the IFVN group.
Conclusions: Individuals with severe pneumonia infected with IFV exhibit heightened susceptibility to certain bacteria, especially Acinetobacter baumannii, and the underlying mechanism of the interaction between IFV and Acinetobacter baumannii in the progression of pneumonia needs further investigation.
- A computationally optimized broadly reactive hemagglutinin vaccine elicits neutralizing antibodies against influenza B viruses from both lineages 3 days ago
- Development and application of influenza virus wastewater surveillance in Hong Kong 3 days ago
- Genetic and evolutionary characteristics of the first case of human infection with highly pathogenic avian influenza virus H5N8 in the world 4 days ago
- Surveillance of avian influenza virus in poultry environment in Yunnan Province, 2015-2021 4 days ago
- Isolation, identification and phylogenetic analysis of a wild bird-derived H1N1 avian influenza virus in the northern Tianshan Mountain 4 days ago