Yang B, García-Carreras B, Lessler J, Read JM, Zhu. Long term intrinsic cycling in human life course antibody responses to influenza A(H3N2): an observational and modelling study. Elife. 2022 Dec 2;11:e81457
Methods: To investigate the cyclic behavior, we analyzed hemagglutination inhibition titers against 21 historical influenza A(H3N2) strains spanning 47 years from a cohort in Guangzhou, China and applied Fourier spectrum analysis. To investigate possible biological mechanisms, we simulated individual antibody profiles encompassing known feedbacks and interactions due to generally recognized immunological mechanisms.
Results: We demonstrated a long-term periodicity (about 24 years) in individual antibody responses. The reported cycles were robust to analytic and sampling approaches. Simulations suggested that individual-level cross-reaction between antigenically similar strains likely explain the reported cycle. We showed that the reported cycles are predictable at both individual and birth-cohort level and that cohorts show a diversity of phases of these cycles. Phase of cycle was associated with the risk of seroconversion to circulating strains, after accounting for age and pre-existing titers of the circulating strains.
Conclusions: Our findings reveal the existence of long-term periodicities in individual antibody responses to A(H3N2). We hypothesize that these cycles are driven by pre-existing antibody responses blunting responses to antigenically similar pathogens (by preventing infection and/or robust antibody responses upon infection), leading to reductions in antigen specific responses over time until individual´s increasing risk leads to an infection with an antigenically distant enough virus to generate a robust immune response. These findings could help disentangle cohort-effects from individual-level exposure histories, improve our understanding of observed heterogeneous antibody responses to immunizations, and inform targeted vaccine strategy.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 virus infection of companion animals 15 hours ago
- Genetically Related Avian Influenza H7N9 Viruses Exhibit Different Pathogenicity in Mice 15 hours ago
- Progress in development and application of H5/H7 avian influenza vaccines in China 2 days ago
- Virulence and transmission characteristics of clade 188.8.131.52b H5N6 subtype avian influenza viruses possessing different internal gene constellations 2 days ago
- Use of Reverse Genetics for the Generation of Recombinant Influenza Viruses Carrying Nanoluciferase 2 days ago