Hennig C, Graaf A, Petric PP, Graf L, Schwemmle M,. Are pigs overestimated as a source of zoonotic influenza viruses?. Porcine Health Manag. 2022 Jun 30;8(1):30
Main body: The most recent human IAV pandemic of 2009 rooted at least partly in IAV of porcine origin highlighting the zoonotic potential of swIAV. Pigs constitute a mixing vessel of IAV from different species including avian and human hosts. However, other host species such as turkey and quail but also humans themselves may also act in this way; thus, pigs are not essentially required for the generation of IAV reassortants with a multispecies origin. Since 1918, all human pandemic influenza viruses except the H2N2 virus of 1958 have been transmitted in a reverse zoonotic mode from human into swine populations. Swine populations act as long-term reservoirs of these viruses. Human-derived IAV constitute a major driver of swIAV epidemiology in pigs. Swine-to-human IAV transmissions occurred rarely and mainly sporadically as compared to avian-to-human spill-over events of avian IAV. Yet, new swIAV variants that harbor zoonotic components continue to be detected. This increases the risk that such components might eventually reassort into viruses with pandemic potential.
Conclusions: Domestic pig populations should not be globally stigmatized as the only or most important reservoir of potentially zoonotic IAV. The likely emergence from swine of the most recent human IAV pandemic in 2009, however, emphasized the principal risks of swine populations in which IAV circulate unimpededly. Implementation of regular and close-meshed IAV surveillance of domestic swine populations to follow the dynamics of swIAV evolution is clearly demanded. Improved algorithms for directly inferring zoonotic potential from whole IAV genome sequences as well as improved vaccines are still being sought.
- Avian influenza overview March - June 2022 10 hours ago
- Duck CD8 + T Cell Response to H5N1 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus Infection In Vivo and In Vitro 2 days ago
- Early risk of acute myocardial infarction following hospitalization for severe influenza infection in the middle-aged population of Hong Kong 2 days ago
- Understanding the rebound of influenza in the post COVID19 pandemic period holds important clues for epidemiology and control 4 days ago
- Evaluation of PCR-Based Hemagglutinin Subtyping as a Tool to aid in Surveillance of Avian Influenza viruses in Migratory Wild Birds 5 days ago