Sokolow AG, Stallings AP, Kercsmar C, Harrington T. Safety of Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine in Children With Asthma. Pediatrics. 2022 Mar 28:e2021055432
Methods: We enrolled 151 children with asthma, aged 5 to 17 years, during 2 influenza seasons. Participants were randomly assigned 1:1 to receive IIV4 or LAIV4 and monitored for asthma symptoms, exacerbations, changes in peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR), and changes in the asthma control test for 42 days after vaccination.
Results: We included 142 participants in the per-protocol analysis. Within 42 days postvaccination, 18 of 142 (13%) experienced an asthma exacerbation: 8 of 74 (11%) in the LAIV4 group versus 10 of 68 (15%) in the IIV4 group (LAIV4-IIV4 = -0.0390 [90% confidence interval -0.1453 to 0.0674]), meeting the bounds for noninferiority. When adjusted for asthma severity, LAIV4 remained noninferior to IIV4. There were no significant differences in the frequency of asthma symptoms, change in PEFR, or childhood asthma control test/asthma control test scores in the 14 days postvaccination between LAIV4 and IIV4 recipients. Vaccine reactogenicity was similar between groups, although sore throat (P = .051) and myalgia (P <.001) were more common in the IIV4 group.
Conclusions: LAIV4 was not associated with increased frequency of asthma exacerbations, an increase in asthma-related symptoms, or a decrease in PEFR compared with IIV4 among children aged 5 to 17 years with asthma.
- Severity of influenza-associated hospitalisations by influenza virus type and subtype in the USA, 2010-19: a repeated cross-sectional study 2 days ago
- Antiviral Susceptibility of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Viruses Circulating Globally in 2022-2023 2 days ago
- Ecological characterization of 175 low-pathogenicity avian influenza viruses isolated from wild birds in Mongolia, 2009-2013 and 2016-2018 2 days ago
- Influenza H7N9 virus disrupts the monolayer human brain microvascular endothelial cells barrier in vitro 2 days ago
- Deep mutational scanning of influenza A virus neuraminidase facilitates the identification of drug resistance mutations in vivo 2 days ago