Xu C, Lao X, Li H, Dong L, Zou S, Chen Y, Gu Y, Zh. Incidence of medically attended influenza and influenza virus infections confirmed by serology in Ningbo City from 2017-2018 to 2019-2020. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2022 Jan 5
Methods: We used data for outpatient acute respiratory illness (OARI) from a platform covering all health and medical institutes in Yingzhou District, Ningbo City. We applied generalized additive regression models to estimate influenza-associated excess incidence rate of OARI by age. We recruited local residents aged ≥60 years in the autumn of 2019 and conducted follow-up nearly 9 months later. Every survey, the sera were collected for testing hemagglutination inhibition antibody.
Results: From 2017-2018 to 2019-2020, the annual average of influenza-associated incidence rate of OARI in all ages was 10.9%. The influenza-associated incidence rate of OARI was the highest in 2017-2018 (16.9%) and the lowest in 2019-2020 (4.8%). Regularly, influenza-associated incidence rates of OARI were the highest in children aged 5-14 years (range: 44.1-77.6%) and 0-4 years (range: 8.3-46.6%). The annual average of excess OARI incidence rate in all ages was the highest for influenza B/Yamagata (3.9%). The overall incidence rate of influenza infections indicated by serology in elderly people was 21% during the winter season of 2019-2020.
Conclusions: We identified substantial outpatient influenza burden in all ages in Ningbo. Our cohort study limited in elderly people found that this age group had a high risk of seasonal influenza infections. Our study informs the importance of increasing influenza vaccine coverage in high-risk population including elderly people.
- Genetic characterization and evolution of H6N6 subtype avian influenza viruses 13 hours ago
- A dominant internal gene cassette of high pathogenicity avian influenza H7N9 virus raised since 2018 2 days ago
- A Eurasian avian-like H1N1 swine influenza reassortant virus became pathogenic and highly transmissible due to mutations in its PA gene 3 days ago
- Few Amino Acid Mutations in H6 Influenza A Virus From South American Lineage Increase Viral Replication Efficiency in Poultry 3 days ago
- Monoclonal antibodies targeting the influenza virus N6 neuraminidase 3 days ago