Vu TH, Hong Y, Truong AD, Lee S, Heo J, Lillehoj H. The highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza virus induces the MAPK signaling pathway in the trachea of two Ri chicken lines. Anim Biosci. 2022 Jan 5
Methods: Resistant (Mx/A; BF2/B21) and susceptible Ri chickens (Mx/G; BF2/B13) were selected by genotyping the Mx and BF2 genes. Then, their tracheal tissues of non-infected and HPAIV H5N1 infected chickens were collected for RNA sequencing.
Results: A gene set overlapping test between the analyzed differentially expressed genes (DEGs) and functionally categorized genes was performed, including biological processes of the Gene Ontology (GO) and Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG) pathways. A total of 1,794 differentially expressed genes (DEGs) were observed between control and H5N1-infected resistant Ri chickens, 432 DEGs between control and infected susceptible Ri chickens, and 1,202 DEGs between infected susceptible and infected resistant Ri chickens. The expression levels of MAPK signaling pathway-related genes (including MyD88, NF-κB, AP-1, c-fos, Jun, JunD, MAX, c-Myc), cytokines (IL-1β, IL-6, IL-8), type I interferons (IFN-α, IFN-β), and IFN-stimulated genes (Mx1, CCL19, OASL, and PRK) were higher in H5N1-infected than in non-infected resistant Ri chickens. MyD88, Jun, JunD, MAX, cytokines, chemokines, IFNs, and IFN-stimulated expressed genes were higher in resistant-infected than in susceptible-infected Ri chickens.
Conclusion: Resistant Ri chickens showed higher antiviral activity compared to susceptible Ri chickens, and H5N1-infected resistant Ri chickens had immune responses and antiviral activity (cytokines, chemokines, interferons, and IFN-stimulated genes), which may have been induced through the MAPK signaling pathway in response to H5N1 infection.
- A computationally optimized broadly reactive hemagglutinin vaccine elicits neutralizing antibodies against influenza B viruses from both lineages 3 days ago
- Development and application of influenza virus wastewater surveillance in Hong Kong 3 days ago
- Genetic and evolutionary characteristics of the first case of human infection with highly pathogenic avian influenza virus H5N8 in the world 4 days ago
- Surveillance of avian influenza virus in poultry environment in Yunnan Province, 2015-2021 4 days ago
- Isolation, identification and phylogenetic analysis of a wild bird-derived H1N1 avian influenza virus in the northern Tianshan Mountain 4 days ago