Darmaa O, Burmaa A, Gantsooj B, Darmaa B, Nymadawa. Influenza epidemiology and burden of disease in Mongolia, 2013-2014 to 2017-2018. Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2021 Jun 7;12(2):
Methods: Demographic and laboratory data from 152 sentinel surveillance sites on all patients who met the case definitions of ILI and SARI between October 2013 and May 2018 were extracted and analysed as described in A Manual for Estimating Disease Burden Associated with Seasonal Influenza.
Results: The estimated annual influenza-associated ILI and SARI rates, presented as ranges, were 1279-2798 and 81-666 cases per 100 000 population, respectively. Children aged < 5 years accounted for 67% of all ILI cases and 79% of all SARI cases. The annual specimen positivity for influenza was highest (11-30% for ILI and 8-31% for SARI) for children aged 5- < 15 years and children < 2 years old, respectively. The annual mortality rate due to pneumonia and SARI was highest among children aged < 2 years (15.8-54.0 per 100 000 population). Although the incidence of influenza-associated ILI and SARI was lowest for people aged 365 years, the mortality rate due to pneumonia and SARI (1.2-5.1 per 100 000) was higher than that for those aged 15-64 years.
Conclusion: The estimated influenza-associated ILI and SARI incidence rates are high in Mongolia, and children, especially those aged < 5 years, have the highest influenza-associated burden in Mongolia. These findings provide evidence for decision-makers in Mongolia to consider targeted influenza vaccination, particularly for children.
- Transcriptomics of chicken cecal tonsils and intestine after infection with low pathogenic avian influenza virus H9N2 2 days ago
- Role of expression of host cytokines in the pathogenesis of H9N2-PB2 reassortant and non-reassortant H5N1 avian influenza viruses isolated from crows in BALB/c mice 2 days ago
- A Cross-Reactive Monoclonal Antibody Against Neuraminidases of Both H9N2 and H3N2 Influenza Viruses Shows Protection in Mice Challenging Models 2 days ago
- Persistence of vaccine-induced antibody to A/H5N1 influenza after 30 and 36 months of vaccination 2 days ago
- Synergistic effect of non-neutralizing antibodies and interferon-γ for cross-protection against influenza 6 days ago