Chen L, Zhou S, Bao L, Millman AJ, Zhang Z, Wang Y. Incidence rates of influenza illness during pregnancy in Suzhou, China, 2015-2018. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2021 Jul 29
Methods: From October 2015 to September 2018, we conducted active surveillance for acute respiratory illness (ARI) among women during pregnancy. Nurses conducted twice weekly phone and text message follow-up upon enrollment until delivery to identify new episodes of ARI. Nasal and throat swabs were collected ≤10 days from illness onset to detect influenza.
Results: In total, we enrolled 18 724 pregnant women median aged 28 years old, 37% in first trimester, 48% in second trimester, and 15% in third trimester, with seven self-reported influenza vaccination during pregnancy. In the 18-week epidemic period during October 2015 to September 2016, influenza incidence was 0.7/100 person-months (95% CI: 0.5-0.9). In the cumulative 29-week-long epidemic during October 2016 to September 2017, influenza incidence was 1.0/100 person-months (95% CI: 0.8-1.2). In the 11-week epidemic period during October 2017 to September 2018, influenza incidence was 2.1/100 person-months (95% CI: 1.9-2.4). Influenza incidence was similar by trimester. More than half of the total influenza illnesses had no elevated temperature and cough. Most influenza-associated ARIs were mild, and <5.1% required hospitalization.
Conclusions: Influenza illness in all trimesters of pregnancy was common. These data may help inform decisions regarding the use of influenza vaccine to prevent influenza during pregnancy.
- Genetic characterization and evolution of H6N6 subtype avian influenza viruses 13 hours ago
- A dominant internal gene cassette of high pathogenicity avian influenza H7N9 virus raised since 2018 2 days ago
- A Eurasian avian-like H1N1 swine influenza reassortant virus became pathogenic and highly transmissible due to mutations in its PA gene 3 days ago
- Few Amino Acid Mutations in H6 Influenza A Virus From South American Lineage Increase Viral Replication Efficiency in Poultry 3 days ago
- Monoclonal antibodies targeting the influenza virus N6 neuraminidase 3 days ago