Sato M, Takashita E, Katayose M, Nemoto K, Sakai N. Detection of variants with reduced baloxavir marboxil and oseltamivir susceptibility in children with influenza A during the 2019-2020 influenza season. J Infect Dis. 2021 Apr 10:jiab196
Methods: During the 2019-2020 influenza season, we enrolled children with confirmed influenza A (20 treated with baloxavir and 16 with oseltamivir). We analyzed patients´ sequential viral RNA loads and infectious virus titers, the drug susceptibilities of clinical isolates, and amino acid substitutions in the viral polymerase acidic protein subunits or neuraminidase. We assessed patients´ clinical information using questionnaires.
Results: All viral RNA loads and virus titers were significantly decreased after treatment, but we detected baloxavir-resistant and the oseltamivir-resistant variants in 5 of 20 and 3 of 16 patients, respectively. The duration of fever was similar between patients with and without the variants, but infectious viral shedding lasted 3 days longer in patients with baloxavir-resistant variants. In addition, the duration to improvement of clinical symptoms was longer in these patients (75.0 h vs. 29.5 h; p = 0.106).
Conclusions: After anti-viral treatment, the emergence of baloxavir-resistant variants may affect the patients´ clinical course, but oseltamivir-resistant variants had no clinical impact.
- Severity of influenza-associated hospitalisations by influenza virus type and subtype in the USA, 2010-19: a repeated cross-sectional study 2 days ago
- Antiviral Susceptibility of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Viruses Circulating Globally in 2022-2023 2 days ago
- Ecological characterization of 175 low-pathogenicity avian influenza viruses isolated from wild birds in Mongolia, 2009-2013 and 2016-2018 2 days ago
- Influenza H7N9 virus disrupts the monolayer human brain microvascular endothelial cells barrier in vitro 2 days ago
- Deep mutational scanning of influenza A virus neuraminidase facilitates the identification of drug resistance mutations in vivo 2 days ago