Wang R, Yan W, Du M, Tao L, Liu J, Tao L. The effect of influenza virus infection on pregnancy outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Feb 26:S1201-9712(21)00181-
Methods: We searched PubMed, Embase, Cochrane Library and Web of Science from inception to 4 November 2020. Relative risks (RRs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were pooled using random-effects or fixed-effects models.
Results: A total of 17 studies involving 2,351,204 participants were included. Influenza infection increased the risk of stillbirth (RR = 3.62, 95% CI: 1.60-8.20), with no significant effect on preterm birth (RR = 1.17, 95%CI: 0.95-1.45), fetal death (RR = 0.93, 95%CI: 0.73-1.18), small for gestational age (SGA) (RR = 1.10, 95%CI: 0.98-1.24) and low birth weight (LBW) (RR = 1.88, 95%CI: 0.46-7.66). In a subgroup analysis of LBW, the association was evident in studies conducted during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic (RR = 2.28, 95%CI: 1.81-2.87), with no evidence of an association in pre-pandemic or post-pandemic studies.
Conclusions: Influenza virus infection was associated with an increased risk of stillbirth, but its effect on preterm birth, fetal death, SGA and LBW is still uncertain.
- Assessment of exposure to influenza A viruses in pigs between weaning and market age 2 hours ago
- Virus Neutralization by Human Intravenous Immunoglobulin Against Influenza Virus Subtypes A/H5 and A/H7 1 days ago
- Balancing the influenza neuraminidase and hemagglutinin responses by exchanging the vaccine virus backbone 3 days ago
- Characterization of Four Novel H5N6 Avian Influenza Viruses with the Internal Genes from H5N1 and H9N2 Viruses and Experimental Challenge of Chickens Vaccinated with Current Commercially Available H5 3 days ago
- Metabolic shifts modulate lung injury caused by infection with H1N1 influenza A virus 4 days ago