Li P, Hayat K, Jiang M, Pu Z, Yao X, Zou Y, Lamboj. Impact of video-led educational intervention on the uptake of influenza vaccine among adults aged 60 years and above in China: a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2021 Jan 27;21(1):222
Methods: A cluster randomized controlled trial will be conducted in 4 districts of Xi´an city, Shaanxi Province, China, using a stratified sampling approach. Adults aged ≥60 years will be recruited from 8 community hospitals. A self-administered questionnaire of knowledge, attitudes, and practices (KAP) will be employed to record the KAP score. During the 6-month interventional period, participants in the intervention group will receive educational videos focused on influenza and influenza vaccination, coupled with a group discussion conducted by the medical students. For those in the control group, no intervention will be provided. The outcomes measured in both groups will be the influenza vaccination coverage and the KAP scores of all participants.
Discussion: Medical students are more likely to educate older adults about scientific knowledge of influenza and its vaccine compared to clinical practitioners, who, most of the time, remain over-occupied due to the extensive workload. Video-led counseling and education could be a useful option to optimize older adults´ understanding of influenza and influenza vaccination. This eventually could improve the uptake of influenza vaccine among Chinese older adults.
- Aerosolized Exposure to H5N1 Influenza Virus Causes Less Severe Disease Than Infection via Combined Intrabronchial, Oral, and Nasal Inoculation in Cynomolgus Macaques 9 hours ago
- Nucleic Acid-Based Sensing Techniques for Diagnostics and Surveillance of Influenza 9 hours ago
- Role of the Host Genetic Susceptibility to 2009 Pandemic Influenza A H1N1 9 hours ago
- Segment-specific kinetics of mRNA, cRNA and vRNA accumulation during influenza infection 1 days ago
- Construction, characterization, and immunization of nanoparticles that display a diverse array of influenza HA trimers 1 days ago