Zhang S, Yu JL, He L, Gong L, Hou S, Zhu M, Wu JB,. Molecular characteristics of the H9N2 avian influenza viruses in live poultry markets in Anhui Province, China, 2013 to 2018. Health Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 6;4(1):e230
Methods: The genomic RNA of Anhui H9N2 isolates was subjected to RT-PCR amplification followed by sequencing analysis.
Results: Thirty-three strains were isolated from the embryonated eggs of specific-pathogen-free chickens. Phylogenetic analysis indicated that h126.96.36.199-like H9N2 viruses were predominant during 2013-2018 and acquired multiple specific amino acid mutations that may have increased their affinity for mammals and enhanced their infectivity and transmissibility. Additionally, six internal genes of H9N2 clustered together with the novel human-lethal reassortant viruses, such as the low-pathogenicity H7N9, H10N8, and Anhui H5N6 viruses, and even HPAI H7N9.
Conclusion: Because H9N2 viruses may be the donors of internal genes that lead to the generation of novel reassortant viruses with enhanced pathogenicity in Anhui province, continuous environmental surveillance of live poultry markets, a key source of reassorted H9N2 and other avian influenza viruses, is of great importance.
- Genetic characteristics and pathogenicity of novel reassortant H6 viruses isolated from wild birds in China 1 days ago
- Risk Mapping of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5 during 2012-2017 in Taiwan with Spatial Bayesian Modeling: Implications for Surveillance and Control Policies 3 days ago
- Administration of a CXCR2 antagonist, SCH527123, together with oseltamivir suppresses NETosis and protects mice from lethal influenza and piglets from swine-influenza infection 3 days ago
- Identification of key candidate biomarkers for severe influenza infection by integrated bioinformatical analysis and initial clinical validation 4 days ago
- Incidence, risk factors and impact of seasonal influenza in pregnancy: A national cohort study 4 days ago