Boikos C, Fischer L, O´Brien D, Vasey J, Syl. Relative Effectiveness of the Cell-Derived Inactivated Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine Versus Egg-Derived Inactivated Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccines in Preventing Influenza-Related Medical Encounters. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan 5:ciaa1944
Methods: A dataset linking primary care electronic medical records with medical claims data was used to conduct a retrospective cohort study among individuals ≥4 years vaccinated with ccIIV4 or eIIV4 during the 2018-2019 season. Adjusted odds ratios (ORs) were derived from a doubly robust inverse probability of treatment-weighted approach adjusting for age, sex, race, ethnicity, geographic region, vaccination week, and health status. Relative vaccine effectiveness (rVE) was estimated by (1-OR)*100 and presented with 95% confidence intervals (CI).
Results: Following the application of inclusion/exclusion criteria, the study cohort included 2,125,430 ccIIV4 and 8,000,903 eIIV4 recipients. Adjusted analyses demonstrated a greater reduction in influenza-related medical encounters with ccIIV4 versus eIIV4, with the following rVE: overall, 7.6% (95% CI 6.5-8.6); age 4-17 years, 3.9% (0.9-7.0); 18-64 years, 6.5% (5.2-7.9); 18-49 years, 7.5% (5.7-9.3); 50-64 years, 5.6% (3.6-7.6); and ≥65 years, -2.2% (-5.4 to 0.9).
Conclusions: Adjusted analyses demonstrated statistically significantly greater reduction in influenza-related medical encounters in individuals vaccinated with ccIIV4 vs eIIV4 in the 2018-2019 U.S. influenza season. These results support ccIIV4 as a potentially more effective public health measure against influenza than an egg-based equivalent.
- Genetic characteristics and pathogenicity of novel reassortant H6 viruses isolated from wild birds in China 12 hours ago
- Risk Mapping of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5 during 2012-2017 in Taiwan with Spatial Bayesian Modeling: Implications for Surveillance and Control Policies 2 days ago
- Administration of a CXCR2 antagonist, SCH527123, together with oseltamivir suppresses NETosis and protects mice from lethal influenza and piglets from swine-influenza infection 2 days ago
- Identification of key candidate biomarkers for severe influenza infection by integrated bioinformatical analysis and initial clinical validation 3 days ago
- Incidence, risk factors and impact of seasonal influenza in pregnancy: A national cohort study 3 days ago