Kittikraisak W, Khamphaphongphane B, Xayadeth S, O. Laboratory evaluation of two point-of-care detection systems for early and accurate detectaion of influenza in the Lao People´s Democratic Republic. Int J Infect Dis. 2020 Dec 23:S1201-9712(20)32584-
Methods: Performance of 1) insulated isothermal PCR on the POCKITTM device and 2) real-time reverse transcription-PCR (rRT-PCR) on a MyGo Mini device were evaluated using human clinical specimens, beta-propiolactone-inactivated influenza viruses, and RNA controls. The rRT-PCR carried out on a CXF-96TM Real-time Detection System was used as a gold standard for comparisons.
Results: Both systems demonstrated 100% sensitivity and specificity and test results were in 100% agreement with the gold standard. POCKITTM only correctly identified influenza A(M gene) in clinical specimens due to the unavailability of typing and subtyping reagents for human influenza viruses, while MyGo Mini had either a one log higher or the same sensitivity in detecting influenza viruses in clinical specimens compared to the gold standard. For inactivated viruses and/or viral RNA, the analytic sensitivity of POCKITTM was shown to be comparable to, or more sensitive, than the gold standard. The analytic sensitivity of MyGo Mini had mixed results depending on the types and subtypes of influenza viruses.
Conclusions: The performance of the two systems in a laboratory is promising and supports further evaluation in field settings.
- Genetic characteristics and pathogenicity of novel reassortant H6 viruses isolated from wild birds in China 13 hours ago
- Risk Mapping of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5 during 2012-2017 in Taiwan with Spatial Bayesian Modeling: Implications for Surveillance and Control Policies 2 days ago
- Administration of a CXCR2 antagonist, SCH527123, together with oseltamivir suppresses NETosis and protects mice from lethal influenza and piglets from swine-influenza infection 2 days ago
- Identification of key candidate biomarkers for severe influenza infection by integrated bioinformatical analysis and initial clinical validation 3 days ago
- Incidence, risk factors and impact of seasonal influenza in pregnancy: A national cohort study 3 days ago