Tenforde MW, Kondor RJG, Chung JR, Zimmerman RK, N. Effect of antigenic drift on influenza vaccine effectiveness in the United States - 2019~2020. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Dec 25:ciaa1884
Methods: We enrolled outpatients aged ≥6 months with acute respiratory illness at five sites. Respiratory specimens were tested for influenza by reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Using the test-negative design, we determined influenza VE by virus sub-type/lineage and genetic subclades by comparing odds of vaccination in influenza cases versus test-negative controls.
Results: Among 8,845 enrollees, 2,722 (31%) tested positive for influenza, including 1,209 (44%) for B/Victoria and 1,405 (51%) for A(H1N1)pdm09. Effectiveness against any influenza illness was 39% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 32-44), 45% (95%CI: 37-52) against B/Victoria and 30% (95%CI: 21-39) against A(H1N1)pdm09 associated illness. Vaccination offered no protection against A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses with antigenically drifted clade 6B.1A 183P-5A+156K HA genes (VE 7%; 95%CI: -14 to 23%) which predominated after January.
Conclusions: Vaccination provided protection against influenza illness, mainly due to infections from B/Victoria viruses. Vaccine protection against illness from A(H1N1)pdm09 was lower than historically observed effectiveness of 40-60%, due to late-season vaccine mismatch following emergence of antigenically drifted viruses. The effect of drift on vaccine protection is not easy to predict and, even in drifted years, significant protection can be observed.
- Genetic characteristics and pathogenicity of novel reassortant H6 viruses isolated from wild birds in China 12 hours ago
- Risk Mapping of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5 during 2012-2017 in Taiwan with Spatial Bayesian Modeling: Implications for Surveillance and Control Policies 2 days ago
- Administration of a CXCR2 antagonist, SCH527123, together with oseltamivir suppresses NETosis and protects mice from lethal influenza and piglets from swine-influenza infection 2 days ago
- Identification of key candidate biomarkers for severe influenza infection by integrated bioinformatical analysis and initial clinical validation 3 days ago
- Incidence, risk factors and impact of seasonal influenza in pregnancy: A national cohort study 3 days ago