Zhu G, Kang M, Wei X, Tang T, Liu T, Xiao J, Song. Different intervention strategies toward live poultry markets against avian influenza A (H7N9) virus: model-based assessment. Environ Res. 2020 Nov 18:110465
Methods: Based on the available data (including reported cases, domestic poultry volume, and climate) collected in Guangdong Province between October 2013 and June 2017, we developed a new compartmental model that enabled us to infer H7N9 transmission dynamics. The model incorporated the intrinsic interplay among humans and poultry as well as the impacts of absolute humidity and LPM intervention, in which intervention strategies were parameterized and estimated by Markov chain Monte Carlo method.
Results: There were 258 confirmed human H7N9 cases in Guangdong during the study period. If without interventions, the number would reach 646 (95%CI, 575-718) cases. Temporal, seasonal and permanent closures of LPMs can substantially reduce transmission risk, which might respectively reduce human infections by 67.2% (95%CI, 64.3%-70.1%), 75.6% (95%CI, 73.8%-77.5%), 86.6% (95%CI, 85.7-87.6%) in total four epidemic seasons, and 81.9% (95%CI, 78.7%-85.2%), 91.5% (95%CI, 89.9%-93.1%), 99.0% (95%CI, 98.7%-99.3%) in the last two epidemic seasons. Moreover, implementing the "1110" policy from 2014 to 2017 would reduce the cases by 34.1% (95%CI, 20.1%-48.0%), suggesting its limited role in preventing H7N9 transmission.
Conclusions: Our study quantified the effects of different interventions and execution time toward LPMs for controlling H7N9 transmission. The results highlighted the importance of closing LPMs during epidemic period, and supported permanent closure as a long-term plan.
- Adjuvantation of Influenza Vaccines to Induce Cross-Protective Immunity 1 days ago
- Influenza A Virus Hemagglutinin and Other Pathogen Glycoprotein Interactions with NK Cell Natural Cytotoxicity Receptors NKp46, NKp44, and NKp30 1 days ago
- Anomalous influenza seasonality in the United States and the emergence of novel influenza B viruses 1 days ago
- Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N8) Virus Spread by Short- and Long-Range Transmission, France, 2016-17 1 days ago
- Unique structural solution from a V H 3-30 antibody targeting the hemagglutinin stem of influenza A viruses 1 days ago