Tempia S, Moyes J, Cohen AL, Walaza S, McMorrow ML. Influenza economic burden among potential target risk groups for immunization in South Africa, 2013~2015. Vaccine. 2020 Sep 23:S0264-410X(20)31193-2
Methods: We estimated the cost (from a health system and societal perspective) and years of life lost (YLL) for influenza-associated illness in South Africa during 2013-2015 among (i) children aged 6-59 months, (ii) individuals aged 5-64 years with HIV, pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) and selected underlying medical conditions (UMC), separately, (iii) pregnant women and (iv) individuals aged ≥65 years, using publicly available data and data collected through laboratory-confirmed influenza surveillance and costing studies. All costs were expressed in 2015 prices using the South Africa all-items Consumer Price Index.
Results: During 2013-2015, the mean annual cost of influenza-associated illness among the selected risk groups accounted for 52.1% ($140.9/$270.5 million) of the total influenza-associated illness cost (for the entire population of South Africa), 45.2% ($52.2/$115.5 million) of non-medically attended illness costs, 43.3% ($46.7/$107.9 million) of medically-attended mild illness costs and 89.3% ($42.0/$47.1 million) of medically-attended severe illness costs. The YLL among the selected risk groups accounted for 86.0% (262,069 /304,867 years) of the total YLL due to influenza-associated death.
Conclusion: In South Africa, individuals in risk groups for severe influenza accounted for approximately half of the total influenza-associated illness cost but most of the cost of influenza-associated medically attended severe illness and YLL. This study provides the foundation for future studies on the cost-effectiveness of influenza immunization among risk groups.
- Manganese exposure in juvenile C57BL/6 mice increases glial inflammatory responses in the substantia nigra following infection with H1N1 influenza virus 13 hours ago
- G-quadruplexes in H1N1 influenza genomes 24 hours ago
- A broad spectrum HVT-H5 avian influenza vector vaccine which induces a rapid onset of immunity 3 days ago
- In silico prediction of influenza vaccine effectiveness by sequence analysis 3 days ago
- Pathogenicity and transmissibility assessment of two strains of human influenza virus isolated in China in 2018 4 days ago