Xu C, Liu L, Ren B, Dong L, Zou S, Huang W, Wei H,. Incidence of influenza virus infections confirmed by serology in children and adult in a suburb community, northern China, 2018~2019 influenza season. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2020 Sep 25
Objectives: We established a community-based cohort to estimate incidence of seasonal influenza infections indicated by serology and protection conferred by antibody titers against influenza infections during 2018-2019 influenza season in northern China.
Methods: We recruited participants in November 2018 and conducted follow-up in May 2019 with collection of sera every survey. Seasonal influenza infections were indicated by a 4-fold or greater increase of hemagglutination inhibition (HI) antibody between paired sera.
Results: Two hundred and three children 5-17 years of age and 413 adults 18-59 years of age were followed up and provided paired sera. The overall incidence of seasonal influenza infection and incidence of A(H3N2) infection in children (31% and 17%, respectively) were significantly higher than those in adults (21% and 10%, respectively). The incidences of A(H1N1)pdm09 infection in children and adults were both about 10%, while the incidences of B/Victoria and/Yamagata infection in children and adults were from 2% to 4%. HI titers of 1:40 against A(H1N1)pdm09 and A(H3N2) viruses were associated with 63% and 75% protection against infections with the two subtypes, respectively.
Conclusions: In the community, we identified considerable incidence of seasonal influenza infections. A HI titer of 1:40 could be sufficient to provide 50% protection against influenza A virus infections indicated by serology.
- Influenza A Virus Inhibits RSV Infection via a Two-Wave Expression of IFIT Proteins 16 hours ago
- Identification of Linear Peptide Immunogens with Verified Broad-spectrum Immunogenicity from the Conserved Regions within the Hemagglutinin Stem Domain of H1N1 Influenza Virus 2 days ago
- Antibody Responses Against Equine Influenza Virus Induced by Concurrent and by Consecutive Use of an Inactivated Equine Influenza Virus Vaccine and a Modified Live Equine Herpesvirus Type 1 Vaccine in 2 days ago
- Evaluation of cobas Influenza A/B & RSV Test for Diagnosis of Equine Influenza 2 days ago
- Risk conditions in children hospitalized with influenza in Norway, 2017~2019 2 days ago