Dharmayanti NLPI, Hewajuli DA, Ratnawati A, Hartaw. Genetic diversity of the H5N1 viruses in live bird markets, Indonesia. J Vet Sci. 2020;21(4):e56
Objectives: The main objective of this study was to monitor the genetic diversity of the H5N1 viruses in LBMs in Indonesia.
Methods: Therefore, the disease surveillance was conducted in the area of Banten, West Java, Central Java, East Java, and Jakarta Province, Indonesia from 2014 to 2019. Subsequently, the genetic characterization of the H5N1 viruses was performed by sequencing all 8 segments of the viral genome.
Results: As a result, the H5N1 viruses were detected in most of LBMs in both bird´ cloacal and environmental samples, in which about 35% of all samples were positive for influenza A and, subsequently, about 52% of these samples were positive for H5 subtyping. Based on the genetic analyses of 14 viruses isolated from LBMs, genetic diversities of the H5N1 viruses were identified including clades 2.1.3 and 2.3.2 as typical predominant groups as well as reassortant viruses between these 2 clades.
Conclusions: As a consequence, zoonotic transmission to humans in the market could be occurred from the exposure of infected birds and/or contaminated environments. Moreover, new virus variants could emerge from the LBM environment. Therefore, improving pandemic preparedness raised great concerns related to the zoonotic aspect of new influenza variants because of its high adaptivity and efficiency for human infection.
- Efficacy and safety of a live attenuated influenza vaccine in Chinese healthy children aged 3-17 years in one study center of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 clinical trial, 201 10 hours ago
- A single N342D substitution in influenza B Virus NA protein determines viral pathogenicity in mice 10 hours ago
- Development of ssDNA Aptamers for Diagnosis and Inhibition of the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus Subtype H5N1 3 days ago
- Assessment of Metagenomic Sequencing and qPCR for Detection of Influenza D Virus in Bovine Respiratory Tract Samples 3 days ago
- Genetic diversity of the H5N1 viruses in live bird markets, Indonesia 3 days ago