Sha TW, Weber M, Kasumba DM, et al. Influenza A virus NS1 optimises virus infectivity by enhancing genome packaging in a dsRNA-binding dependent manner. Virol J. 2020;17(1):107
Methods: To investigate these unidentified roles, we used a recombinant virus, which lacks NS1 expression, and observed its phenotypes during the infection of antiviral defective cells (RIG-I KO cells) in the presence or absence of exogeneous NS1. Moreover, we used virus-like particle (VLP) production system to further support our findings.
Results: Our experiments demonstrated that IAV deficient in NS1 replicates less efficiently than wild-type IAV in RIG-I KO cells and this replication defect was complemented by ectopic expression of NS1. As suggested previously, NS1 is incorporated in the virion and participates in the regulation of viral transcription and translation. Using the VLP production system, in which minigenome transcription or viral protein production was unaffected by NS1, we demonstrated that NS1 facilitates viral genome packaging into VLP, leading to efficient minigenome transfer by VLP. Furthermore, the incorporation of NS1 and the minigenome into VLP were impaired by introducing a point mutation (R38A) in the double stranded RNA-binding domain of NS1.
Conclusion: These results suggest a novel function of NS1 in improving genome packaging in a dsRNA binding-dependent manner. Taken together, NS1 acts as an essential pro-viral regulator, not only by antagonizing host immunity but also by facilitating viral replication and genome packaging.
- Pathogenicity and transmissibility of clade 220.127.116.11 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus subtype H5N6 in pigeons 13 hours ago
- Genesis and spread of multiple reassortants during the 2016/2017 H5 avian influenza epidemic in Eurasia 13 hours ago
- A panel of anti-influenza virus nucleoprotein antibodies selected from phage-displayed synthetic antibody libraries with rapid diagnostic capability to distinguish diverse influenza virus subtypes 13 hours ago
- Transboundary spread of equine influenza viruses (H3N8) in West and Central Africa: Molecular characterization of identified viruses during outbreaks in Niger and Senegal, in 2019 13 hours ago
- AIV polyantigen epitope expressed by recombinant baculovirus induces a systemic immune response in chicken and mouse models 3 days ago