Nüssing S, Mifsud E, Hensen L, et al. Viral Burden, Inflammatory Milieu and CD8 + T-cell Responses to Influenza Virus in a Second-Generation Thiazolide (RM-5061) and Oseltamivir Combination Therapy Study. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2020;10.1111/irv.1
Methods: In this study, we utilized a host-targeting molecule RM-5061, a second-generation thiazolide, in combination with oseltamivir to determine whether these compounds could reduce viral burden and understand their effects on the immune response to influenza virus infection in mice, compared with either monotherapy or placebo.
Results: The combination of RM-5061 and OST administered for 5 days after influenza infection reduced viral burden at day 5 post-infection, when compared to placebo and RM-5061 monotherapy, but was not significantly different from oseltamivir monotherapy. The inflammatory cytokine milieu was also reduced in animals which received a combination therapy when compared to RM-5061 and placebo-treated animals. Antiviral treatment in all groups led to a reduction in CD8+ T-cell responses in the BAL when compared to placebo.
Conclusions: To our knowledge, this is the first time a combination of a host-targeting compound, RM-5061, and neuraminidase inhibitor, OST, has been tested in vivo. This antiviral combination was safe in mice and led to reduced inflammatory responses following viral infection when compared to untreated animals.
- Different Environmental Gradients Associated to the Spatiotemporal and Genetic Pattern of the H5N8 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Outbreaks in Poultry in Italy 2 days ago
- Characterization and Evolutionary Analysis of a Novel H3N2 Influenza A Virus Glycosylation Motif in Southern China 2 days ago
- Genetically and Antigenically Divergent Influenza A(H9N2) Viruses Exhibit Differential Replication and Transmission Phenotypes in Mammalian Models 2 days ago
- Molecular Characterization and Pathogenesis of H9N2 Avian Influenza Virus Isolated From a Racing Pigeon 3 days ago
- Pathogenicity of Different H5N6 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus Strains and Host Immune Responses in Chickens 3 days ago