Nüssing S, Mifsud E, Hensen L, et al. Viral Burden, Inflammatory Milieu and CD8 + T-cell Responses to Influenza Virus in a Second-Generation Thiazolide (RM-5061) and Oseltamivir Combination Therapy Study. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2020;10.1111/irv.1
Methods: In this study, we utilized a host-targeting molecule RM-5061, a second-generation thiazolide, in combination with oseltamivir to determine whether these compounds could reduce viral burden and understand their effects on the immune response to influenza virus infection in mice, compared with either monotherapy or placebo.
Results: The combination of RM-5061 and OST administered for 5 days after influenza infection reduced viral burden at day 5 post-infection, when compared to placebo and RM-5061 monotherapy, but was not significantly different from oseltamivir monotherapy. The inflammatory cytokine milieu was also reduced in animals which received a combination therapy when compared to RM-5061 and placebo-treated animals. Antiviral treatment in all groups led to a reduction in CD8+ T-cell responses in the BAL when compared to placebo.
Conclusions: To our knowledge, this is the first time a combination of a host-targeting compound, RM-5061, and neuraminidase inhibitor, OST, has been tested in vivo. This antiviral combination was safe in mice and led to reduced inflammatory responses following viral infection when compared to untreated animals.
- Incorporating real-time influenza detection into the test-negative design for estimating influenza vaccine effectiveness: The real-time test-negative design (rtTND) 11 hours ago
- Dynamic Natural Killer Cell and T Cell Responses to Influenza Infection 11 hours ago
- PA from a Recent H9N2 (G1-Like) Avian Influenza a Virus (AIV) Strain Carrying Lysine 367 Confers Altered Replication Efficiency and Pathogenicity to Contemporaneous H5N1 in Mammalian Systems 3 days ago
- Influenza A virus co-opts ERI1 exonuclease bound to histone mRNA to promote viral transcription 3 days ago
- Modelling within-host macrophage dynamics in influenza virus infection 3 days ago