Bhat S, Bialy D, Sealy JE, Sadeyen JR, Chang P, Iq. A Ligation and Restriction Enzyme Independent Cloning Technique: An Alternative to Conventional Methods for Cloning Hard-To-Clone Gene Segments in the Influenza Reverse Genetics System. Virol J. 2020;17(1):82
Methods: Herein, we report an easy and efficient ligation and restriction enzyme independent (LREI) cloning method for cloning influenza gene segments into pHW2000 vector. The method involves amplification of megaprimers followed by PCR amplification of megaprimers using a bait plasmid, DpnI digestion and transformation.
Results: Hard-to-clone genes: PB2 of A/chicken/Bangladesh/23527/2014 (H9N2) and PB1 of A/chicken/Bangladesh/23527/2014 (H9N2), A/chicken/Jiangxi/02.05YGYXG023-P/2015 (H5N6) and A/Chicken/Vietnam/H7F-14-BN4-315/2014 (H9N2) were cloned into pHW2000 using our LREI method and recombinant viruses were subsequently rescued.
Conclusion: The LREI cloning procedure represents an alternative strategy for cloning influenza gene segments which have internal restriction sites for the enzymes used in reverse genetics. Further, the problem of genetic instability in bacteria can be alleviated by growing recombinant bacterial cultures at a lower temperature. This technique can be applied to clone any influenza gene segment using universal primers, which would help in rapid generation of influenza viruses and facilitate influenza research and vaccine development.
- Pathogenesis and genetic characteristics of a novel reassortant low pathogenic avian influenza A(H7N6) virus isolated in Cambodia in 2019 22 hours ago
- Investigating the potential sequence variation in the influenza A matrix genes during the 2018-2019 season in samples from a local population in London 2 days ago
- Within-host evolutionary dynamics of seasonal and pandemic human influenza A viruses in young children 2 days ago
- Identification of Efficacious Vaccines Against Contemporary North American H7 Avian Influenza Viruses 3 days ago
- Antibody Response of an H9 Subtype Avian Influenza Poultry Vaccine on Three Kinds of Wild Birds in Shanghai Zoo 3 days ago