Loeb N, Andrew MK, Loeb M, et al. Frailty Is Associated With Increased Hemagglutination-Inhibition Titers in a 4-Year Randomized Trial Comparing Standard- And High-Dose Influenza Vaccination. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020;7(5):ofaa148.
Methods: We conducted a randomized, double-blind trial (2014/2015 to 2017/2018) of SD versus HD trivalent split-virus vaccine (Fluzone) in 612 study participants aged 65+ over 4 influenza seasons. Hemagglutination inhibition antibody titers for influenza H1N1, H3N2, and B vaccine subtypes were measured at baseline and at 4, 10, and 20 weeks postvaccination and frailty was measured using a validated frailty index.
Results: Geometric mean antibody titers were significantly higher in HD compared with SD vaccine recipients for all influenza subtypes at all time points postvaccination. However, frailty was positively correlated with 4-week titers and was associated with increased odds of being a vaccine responder. For influenza A subtypes, this was mostly limited to HD recipients.
Conclusions: Frailty was associated with higher titers and increased antibody responses at 4 weeks after influenza vaccination, which was partially dependent on vaccine dosage. Chronic inflammation or dysregulated immunity, both of which are commonly observed with frailty, may be responsible, but it requires further investigation.
- Different Environmental Gradients Associated to the Spatiotemporal and Genetic Pattern of the H5N8 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Outbreaks in Poultry in Italy 2 days ago
- Characterization and Evolutionary Analysis of a Novel H3N2 Influenza A Virus Glycosylation Motif in Southern China 2 days ago
- Genetically and Antigenically Divergent Influenza A(H9N2) Viruses Exhibit Differential Replication and Transmission Phenotypes in Mammalian Models 2 days ago
- Molecular Characterization and Pathogenesis of H9N2 Avian Influenza Virus Isolated From a Racing Pigeon 3 days ago
- Pathogenicity of Different H5N6 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus Strains and Host Immune Responses in Chickens 3 days ago