Ma HX, et al. Distribution of Avian Influenza A Viruses in Poultry-Related Environment and Its Association with Human Infection in Henan, 2016 to 2017. Biomed Environ Sci. 2019 Nov;32(11):797-803
To survey avian influenza A viruses (AIVs) in the environment and explore the reasons for the surge in human H7N9 cases.
A total of 1,045 samples were collected from routine surveillance on poultry-related environments and 307 samples from human H7N9 cases-exposed environments in Henan from 2016 to 2017. The nucleic acids of influenza A (Flu A), H5, H7, and H9 subtypes were detected by real-time polymerase chain reaction.
A total of 27 H7N9 cases were confirmed in Henan from 2016 to 2017, 24 had a history of live poultry exposure, and 15 had H7N9 virus detected in the related live poultry markets (LPMs). About 96% (264/275) Flu A positive-environmental samples were from LPMs. H9 was the main AIV subtype (10.05%) from routine surveillance sites with only 1 H7-positive sample, whereas 21.17% samples were H7-positive in H7N9 cases-exposed environments. Samples from H7N9 cases-exposed LPMs (47.56%) had much higher AIVs positive rates than those from routine surveillance sites (12.34%). The H7+H9 combination of mixed infection was 78.18% (43/55) of H7-positive samples and 41.34% (43/104) of H9-positive samples.
The contamination status of AIVs in poultry-related environments is closely associated with the incidence of human infection caused by AIVs. Therefore, systematic surveillance of AIVs in LPMs in China is essential for the detection of novel reassortant viruses and their potential for interspecies transmission.
- Agricultural and geographic factors shaped the North American 2015 highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N2 outbreak 2 days ago
- Interspecies Transmission of Reassortant Swine Influenza A Virus Containing Genes from Swine Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and A(H1N2) Viruses 2 days ago
- Influenza Reverse Genetics-Historical Perspective 2 days ago
- Pathobiological Origins and Evolutionary History of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Viruses 2 days ago
- The Epidemiology, Virology, and Pathogenicity of Human Infections with Avian Influenza Viruses 2 days ago