Yu Z, Gu Q, Zhang B, Chen X, Tang J, Hou Y, Yu W. Clinical Features of Fatal Pandemic Influenza A/H1N1 Infection Complicated by Invasive Pulmonary Fungal Infection. Mycopathologia. 2019 Dec 27.
Severe pneumonia caused by influenza virus infection can be secondary to invasive pulmonary fungal (IPF) infection.
This study aimed to summarize the incidence of IPF infection secondary to influenza virus infection and further explore its etiologic mechanism and high-risk factors.
All adult patients with confirmed influenza A (H1N1) virus infection admitted to the intensive care units (ICUs) of Nanjing Drum Hospital from November 2017 to March 2018 were retrospectively selected. The differences in baseline factors, risk factors, immune function and outcome parameters were studied between patients with and without IPF.
Of the 19 critically ill patients with H1N1 infection, 11 (57.9%) developed IPF infection after 7 days of ICU admission. Two patients had proven and nine probable IPF infection. A difference in human leukocyte antigen-DR isotype (△HLA-DR; day 7-day 1) was found between the two groups. △HLA-DR (day 7-day 1) was higher in patients with no IPF infection than in those with IPF infection [(14.52?±?14.21)% vs (?-?11.74?±?20.22)%, P?=?0.019]. The decline in HLA-DR indicated impaired immune function secondary to fungal infection in patients with H1N1 infection.
IPF infection was diagnosed in 57.9% of critically ill patients with H1N1 virus infection after a median of 7 days following ICU admission. A continuous decline in immune function could lead to the development of IPF infections. Dynamic monitoring of immune function may help in the early detection of IPF infection.
- Linking influenza virus evolution within and between human hosts 4 days ago
- Specific memory B cell response in humans upon infection with highly pathogenic H7N7 avian influenza virus 4 days ago
- Comparison of sequencing methods and data processing pipelines for whole genome sequencing and minority single nucleotide variant (mSNV) analysis during an influenza A/H5N8 outbreak 4 days ago
- Pulmonary surfactant-biomimetic nanoparticles potentiate heterosubtypic influenza immunity 4 days ago
- Waterfowl occurrence and residence time as indicators of H5 and H7 avian influenza in North American Poultry 12 days ago