Ilyushina NA, et al. Influenza A virus hemagglutinin mutations associated with use of neuraminidase inhibitors correlate with decreased inhibition by anti-influenza antibodies. Virol J. 2019 Nov 29;16(1):149
Vaccination and the use of neuraminidase inhibitors (NAIs) are currently the front lines of defense against seasonal influenza. The activity of influenza vaccines and antivirals drugs such as the NAIs can be affected by mutations in the influenza hemagglutinin (HA) protein. Numerous HA substitutions have been identified in nonclinical NAI resistance-selection experiments as well as in clinical specimens from NAI treatment or surveillance studies. These mutations are listed in the prescribing information (package inserts) for FDA-approved NAIs, including oseltamivir, zanamivir, and peramivir.
NAI treatment-emergent H1 HA mutations were mapped onto the H1N1 HA1 trimeric crystal structure and most of them localized to the HA antigenic sites predicted to be important for anti-influenza immunity. Recombinant A/California/04/09 (H1N1)-like viruses carrying HA V152I, G155E, S162?N, S183P, and D222G mutations were generated. We then evaluated the impact of these mutations on the immune reactivity and replication potential of the recombinant viruses in a human respiratory epithelial cell line, Calu-?3.
We found that the G155E and D222G mutations significantly increased viral titers ~?13-fold compared to the wild-type virus. The hemagglutination and microneutralization activity of goat and ferret antisera, monoclonal antibodies, and human serum samples raised against pandemic A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses was ~?100-fold lower against mutants carrying G155E or D222G compared to the wild-type virus.
Although the mechanism by which HA mutations emerge during NAI treatment is uncertain, some NAI treatment-emergent HA mutations correlate with decreased immunity to influenza virus.
- The Pattern of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N1 Outbreaks in South Asia 4 days ago
- Influenza A virus hemagglutinin mutations associated with use of neuraminidase inhibitors correlate with decreased inhibition by anti-influenza antibodies 4 days ago
- Characteristics and outcome of influenza-associated encephalopathy/encephalitis among children in a tertiary pediatric hospital in Italy, 2017-2019 4 days ago
- Reports of atypical shoulder pain and dysfunction following inactivated influenza vaccine, Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), 2010-2017 4 days ago
- Analysis of Expression Profiles of Long Noncoding RNAs and mRNAs in A549 Cells Infected with H3N2 Swine Influenza Virus by RNA Sequencing 6 days ago