Borkenhagen LK, et al. High Risk of Influenza Virus Infection Among Swine Workers: Examining a Dynamic Cohort in China. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 1.
China is thought to be a hotspot for zoonotic influenza virus emergence, yet there have been few prospective studies examining the occupational risk of such infections.
We present the first two years of data collected from a five-year, prospective cohort study of swine-exposed and unexposed participants, pigs, and six swine farms in China. We conducted serological and virological surveillance to examine evidence for swine influenza A virus infection in humans.
Two hundred and seven (31.5%) of the 658 participants (521 swine-exposed and 137 unexposed), enrolled at any time period, seroconverted against at least one SIV subtype (swine H1N1 or H3N2). Swine-exposed participants´ microneutralization titers, especially those enrolled at confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), were higher against the swine H1N1 virus than were other participants at 12 and 24 months. Despite elevated titers, among the 187 study subjects for whom we had complete follow-up, participants working at swine CAFOs had significantly greater odds of seroconverting against both swine H1N1 (OR 19.16; 95% CI 3.55, 358.65) and swine H3N2 (OR 2.97; 95% CI 1.16, 8.01) viruses compared to unexposed and non-CAFO swine workers with less intense swine exposure.
While some of the observed increased risk against swine viruses may have been explained by exposure to human influenza strains, study data suggest that even with elevated preexisting antibodies, swine-exposed workers are at high risk of infection with enzootic swine influenza A viruses.
- Influenza D Virus: The Most Discreet (for the Moment?) of the Influenza Viruses 6 hours ago
- Evaluating the Relative Vaccine Effectiveness of Adjuvanted Trivalent Influenza Vaccine Compared to High-Dose Trivalent and Other Egg-Based Influenza Vaccines among Older Adults in the US during the 2 6 hours ago
- High-Speed AFM Reveals Molecular Dynamics of Human Influenza A Hemagglutinin and Its Interaction with Exosomes 6 hours ago
- Comparative analysis of clinical features and risk factors of severe pneumonia development in pediatric patients hospitalized with seasonal influenza or swine-origin influenza infection 6 hours ago
- Ecological factors associated with persistent circulation of multiple highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses among poultry farms in Taiwan during 2015~17 6 hours ago