Borkenhagen LK, et al. High Risk of Influenza Virus Infection Among Swine Workers: Examining a Dynamic Cohort in China. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 1.
China is thought to be a hotspot for zoonotic influenza virus emergence, yet there have been few prospective studies examining the occupational risk of such infections.
We present the first two years of data collected from a five-year, prospective cohort study of swine-exposed and unexposed participants, pigs, and six swine farms in China. We conducted serological and virological surveillance to examine evidence for swine influenza A virus infection in humans.
Two hundred and seven (31.5%) of the 658 participants (521 swine-exposed and 137 unexposed), enrolled at any time period, seroconverted against at least one SIV subtype (swine H1N1 or H3N2). Swine-exposed participants´ microneutralization titers, especially those enrolled at confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), were higher against the swine H1N1 virus than were other participants at 12 and 24 months. Despite elevated titers, among the 187 study subjects for whom we had complete follow-up, participants working at swine CAFOs had significantly greater odds of seroconverting against both swine H1N1 (OR 19.16; 95% CI 3.55, 358.65) and swine H3N2 (OR 2.97; 95% CI 1.16, 8.01) viruses compared to unexposed and non-CAFO swine workers with less intense swine exposure.
While some of the observed increased risk against swine viruses may have been explained by exposure to human influenza strains, study data suggest that even with elevated preexisting antibodies, swine-exposed workers are at high risk of infection with enzootic swine influenza A viruses.
- A novel reassortant influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in swine in Shandong Province, eastern China 22 hours ago
- Nosocomial transmission of influenza: A retrospective cross-sectional study using next generation sequencing at a hospital in England (2012-2014) 22 hours ago
- Identification of a type-specific promoter element that differentiates between influenza A and B viruses 22 hours ago
- Safety and immunogenicity of investigational seasonal influenza hemagglutinin DNA vaccine followed by trivalent inactivated vaccine administered intradermally or intramuscularly in healthy adults: An 22 hours ago
- Effect of closure of live poultry markets in China on prevention and control of human infection with H7N9 avian influenza: a case study of four cities in Jiangsu Province 22 hours ago