Li J, et al. Delayed peak of human infections and ongoing reassortment of H7N9 avian influenza virus in the newly affected western Chineses provinces during Wave Five. Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 6.
Eight additional provinces in western China reported human infections for the first time during the fifth wave of human H7N9 infections. Our study aimed to analyze the epidemiological and virological characteristics of this outbreak.
The epidemiological data of H7N9 cases from the newly affected western Chinese provinces were collected and analyzed. Meanwhile, full-length genome sequences of H7N9 virus were downloaded from GenBank and GISAID databases, and phylogenetic, genotyping and genetic analyses were conducted.
The peak of human infections in the newly affected western Chinese provinces was delayed by 4 months compared to the eastern China, and both low pathogenic (LP) and highly pathogenic (HP) H7N9 infected cases were found. The LP- and HP-H7N9 virus belonged to 10 different genotypes (including 4 new genotypes), of which G11 and G3 were the dominant genotypes, respectively. Almost all of these viruses originated from eastern and southern China, and were most possibly imported from neighboring provinces. Genetic characteristics of the circulating viruses were similar with the viruses from previously affected provinces during Wave Five.
A delayed peak of human infections was observed in the newly affected western Chinese provinces, and reassortment has been ongoing since the introduction of H7N9 viruses. Our study highlights the importance of continued surveillance of the circulation and evolution of H7N9 virus in western China.
- A novel reassortant influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in swine in Shandong Province, eastern China 22 hours ago
- Nosocomial transmission of influenza: A retrospective cross-sectional study using next generation sequencing at a hospital in England (2012-2014) 22 hours ago
- Identification of a type-specific promoter element that differentiates between influenza A and B viruses 22 hours ago
- Safety and immunogenicity of investigational seasonal influenza hemagglutinin DNA vaccine followed by trivalent inactivated vaccine administered intradermally or intramuscularly in healthy adults: An 22 hours ago
- Effect of closure of live poultry markets in China on prevention and control of human infection with H7N9 avian influenza: a case study of four cities in Jiangsu Province 22 hours ago