Ito T, et al. Transient depression of myocardial function after influenza virus infection: A study of echocardiographic tissue imaging. PLoS One. 2019 Aug 23;14(8):e0221628
Influenza virus infection (IVI) was reported to be associated with minor cardiac changes, mostly those detected on electrocardiogram with and without elevated blood markers of myocardial injury; however, the characteristics of myocardial involvement in association with IVI are poorly understood. This study used echocardiographic tissue imaging (tissue Doppler, strain, and strain rate) to evaluate changes in left atrial (LA) and left ventricular (LV) myocardial function after IVI.
METHODS AND RESULTS:
We examined 20 adult individuals (mean age, 43 years) at 2 and 4 weeks after diagnosis of IVI. For myocardial functional variables, we obtained LV global longitudinal strain (GLS), LV early diastolic strain rate (e´sr), LA strain, and LA stiffness (E/e´/LA strain), in addition to data on tissue Doppler (s´, e´, and a´) and myocardial performance index. Blood markers of myocardial injury were also examined. During follow-up, there were no significant changes in global chamber function such as LV ejection fraction, E/e´, and LA volume. However, significant changes in myocardial function were observed, namely, in s´ (8.0 ± 1.6 cm/s to 9.3 ± 1.5 cm/s; p = 0.01), e´ (10.2 ± 2.8 cm/s to 11.4 ± 3.0 cm/s; p < 0.001), e´sr (1.43 ± 0.44 1/s to 1.59 ± 0.43 1/s; p = 0.005), and LA strain (35 ± 8% to 40 ± 12%; p = 0.025), and the myocardial performance index (0.52 ± 0.20 to 0.38 ± 0.09; p = 0.009), but not in a´, LA stiffness, or GLS. Cardiac troponin T and creatinine kinase isoenzyme MB were not elevated significantly at any examination.
Myocardial dysfunction during IVI recovery appeared to be transient particularly in the absence of myocardial injury. Echocardiographic tissue imaging may be useful to detect subclinical cardiac changes in association with IVI.
- A novel reassortant influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in swine in Shandong Province, eastern China 22 hours ago
- Nosocomial transmission of influenza: A retrospective cross-sectional study using next generation sequencing at a hospital in England (2012-2014) 22 hours ago
- Identification of a type-specific promoter element that differentiates between influenza A and B viruses 22 hours ago
- Safety and immunogenicity of investigational seasonal influenza hemagglutinin DNA vaccine followed by trivalent inactivated vaccine administered intradermally or intramuscularly in healthy adults: An 22 hours ago
- Effect of closure of live poultry markets in China on prevention and control of human infection with H7N9 avian influenza: a case study of four cities in Jiangsu Province 22 hours ago