Sanz Fadrique R, et al. Guillain-Barré syndrome and influenza vaccines: current evidence. Rev Esp Quimioter. 2019 Jun 20.
Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) as a consequence of influenza vaccination is a relevant topic, yet to be clarified, which raises concern both amongst health care personnel and the general population. Every study and pharmacovigilance system point to need of further research and the importance of continuous monitoring of safety regarding influenza vaccines. The aim of the present study is to investigate the publication of new data since the realisation of our meta-analysis of GBS and influenza vaccines (published in 2015).
A systematic revision of PubMed, Embase, and Web of Knowledge (WOS) databases has been carried out. These report observational studies assessing GBS risk after the administration of influenza vaccines from May 2014 up to July 20th, 2017.
The research yielded 107 articles. Only three studies met established inclusion criteria and referred to an estimation GBS risk after some influenza vaccine. Two studies investigated GBS risk by the pandemic A/H1N1 vaccine, while only one looked into season vaccines.
The present systematic review, conducted after the publication of our previous meta-analysis, seems to confirm its previous results. Therefore, GBS should be considered an infrequent adverse effect of influenza vaccination, which should not negatively influence its acceptance. Unfortunately, very few of the systematically surveyed studies meeting inclusion criteria. This fact sharply contrasts with the current consensus as to the need of continuously monitoring the safety of influenza vaccines.
- A Complex Dance: Measuring the Multidimensional Worlds of Influenza Virus Evolution and Anti-Influenza Immune Responses 1 hours ago
- IFITM3 and type I interferons are important for the control of influenza A virus replication in murine macrophages 1 hours ago
- Influenza viruses that require 10 genomic segments as antiviral therapeutics 1 hours ago
- Novel Reassortant Avian Influenza A(H3N8) Virus Isolated from a Wild Bird in Jiangxi, China 1 hours ago
- Linear ubiquitin assembly complex regulates lung epithelial driven responses during influenza infection 4 days ago