Wu JY, et al. Transmission Risk of Avian Influenza Virus along Poultry Supply Chains in Guangdong, China. J Infect. 2019 May 14.
Avian influenza viruses (AIVs) poise significant risk to human health and the poultry industry. We evaluated the transmission risk along the poultry supply chain.
During October 2015 and July 2016, four rounds of cross-sectional surveys were performed to characterize AIV spread in farms, transport vehicles, slaughterhouses, wholesale and retail live poultry markets (LPMs). Poultry cloacal and oral swabs, environmental swabs, bioaerosol samples and human sera were collected. Poultry and environmental samples were tested for AIVs by rRT-PCR, further subtyped by next generation sequencing. Previous human H9N2 infections were identified by hemagglutination inhibition and microneutralization tests. Logistic regression was fitted to compare AIV transmission risk in different settings.
AIVs was detected in 23.9% (424/1,771) of the poultry and environmental samples. AIV detection rates in farms, transport vehicles, wholesale and retail LPMs were 4.5%, 11.1%, 30.3% and 51.2%, respectively. 5.2%, 8.3% and 12.8% of the poultry workers were seropositive in farms, wholesale and retail LPMs, respectively. The regression analysis showed that virus detection and transmission risk to human increased progressively along the poultry supply chain.
Strengthening control measures at every level along the poultry supply chain, using a one health approach, is crucial to control AIV circulation.
- Integration analysis of a miRNA-mRNA expression in A549 cells infected with a novel H3N2 swine influenza virus and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic influenza virus 43 minute(s) ago
- Avian influenza in the Greater Mekong Subregion, 2003~2018 45 minute(s) ago
- Report on influenza viruses received and tested by the Melbourne WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza in 2017 46 minute(s) ago
- Seroprevalence of dogs in Hong Kong to human and canine influenza viruses 55 minute(s) ago
- Armored Exogenous Internal Control for Real-Time PCR Diagnosis of Avian Influenza 57 minute(s) ago