Ni YN, Chen G, Sun J, Liang BM, Liang ZA. The effect of corticosteroids on mortality of patients with influenza pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2019 Mar 27;23(1):99.
The effect of corticosteroids on clinical outcomes in patients with influenza pneumonia remains controversial. We aimed to further evaluate the influence of corticosteroids on mortality in adult patients with influenza pneumonia by comparing corticosteroid-treated and placebo-treated patients.
The PubMed, Embase, Medline, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Information Sciences Institute (ISI) Web of Science databases were searched for all controlled studies that compared the effects of corticosteroids and placebo in adult patients with influenza pneumonia. The primary outcome was mortality, and the secondary outcomes were mechanical ventilation (MV) days, length of stay in the intensive care unit (ICU LOS), and the rate of secondary infection.
Ten trials involving 6548 patients were pooled in our final analysis. Significant heterogeneity was found in all outcome measures except for ICU LOS (I2 =?38%, P?=?0.21). Compared with placebo, corticosteroids were associated with higher mortality (risk ratio [RR] 1.75, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.30?~?2.36, Z?=?3.71, P?=?0.0002), longer ICU LOS (mean difference [MD] 2.14, 95% CI 1.17?~?3.10, Z?=?4.35, P?0.0001), and a higher rate of secondary infection (RR 1.98, 95% CI 1.04?~?3.78, Z?=?2.08, P?=?0.04) but not MV days (MD 0.81, 95% CI -?1.23?~?2.84, Z?=?0.78, P?=?0.44) in patients with influenza pneumonia.
In patients with influenza pneumonia, corticosteroid use is associated with higher mortality.
- Identification of a pH Sensor in Influenza Hemagglutinin using X-ray Crystallography 2 days ago
- A Novel Neuraminidase-Dependent Hemagglutinin Cleavage Mechanism Enables the Systemic Spread of an H7N6 Avian Influenza Virus 2 days ago
- Adult influenza A (H3N2) with reduced susceptibility to baloxavir or peramivir cured after switching anti-influenza agents 2 days ago
- Aptamer Profiling of A549 Cells Infected with Low-Pathogenicity and High-Pathogenicity Influenza Viruses 2 days ago
- Changes in the Receptor-Binding Properties of H3N2 Viruses during Long-Term Circulation in Humans 2 days ago