Ni YN, Chen G, Sun J, Liang BM, Liang ZA. The effect of corticosteroids on mortality of patients with influenza pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2019 Mar 27;23(1):99.
The effect of corticosteroids on clinical outcomes in patients with influenza pneumonia remains controversial. We aimed to further evaluate the influence of corticosteroids on mortality in adult patients with influenza pneumonia by comparing corticosteroid-treated and placebo-treated patients.
The PubMed, Embase, Medline, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Information Sciences Institute (ISI) Web of Science databases were searched for all controlled studies that compared the effects of corticosteroids and placebo in adult patients with influenza pneumonia. The primary outcome was mortality, and the secondary outcomes were mechanical ventilation (MV) days, length of stay in the intensive care unit (ICU LOS), and the rate of secondary infection.
Ten trials involving 6548 patients were pooled in our final analysis. Significant heterogeneity was found in all outcome measures except for ICU LOS (I2 =?38%, P?=?0.21). Compared with placebo, corticosteroids were associated with higher mortality (risk ratio [RR] 1.75, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.30?~?2.36, Z?=?3.71, P?=?0.0002), longer ICU LOS (mean difference [MD] 2.14, 95% CI 1.17?~?3.10, Z?=?4.35, P?0.0001), and a higher rate of secondary infection (RR 1.98, 95% CI 1.04?~?3.78, Z?=?2.08, P?=?0.04) but not MV days (MD 0.81, 95% CI -?1.23?~?2.84, Z?=?0.78, P?=?0.44) in patients with influenza pneumonia.
In patients with influenza pneumonia, corticosteroid use is associated with higher mortality.
- Reactive school closure weakens the network of social interactions and reduces the spread of influenza 12 hours ago
- Structural insight into RNA synthesis by influenza D polymerase 12 hours ago
- Low Polymerase Activity Attributed to PA Drives the Acquisition of the PB2 E627K Mutation of H7N9 Avian Influenza Virus in Mammals 13 hours ago
- Integration analysis of a miRNA-mRNA expression in A549 cells infected with a novel H3N2 swine influenza virus and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic influenza virus 1 days ago
- Avian influenza in the Greater Mekong Subregion, 2003~2018 1 days ago