Lindert K, Leav B, Heijnen E, Barrett J, Nicolay U. MF59-Adjuvanted Seasonal Trivalent Influenza Vaccine: Pooled Analysis of Safety in Older Adults ≥65 Years of Age. Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Mar 20.
To assess the long-term safety of MF59-adjuvanted trivalent influenza vaccine (aIIV3; Fluad?) in adults ≥65 years of age.
Data from 36 primary vaccination and 7 re-vaccination Phase I through III trials were analyzed; 7,532 subjects received aIIV3 and 5,198 subjects a nonadjuvanted trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (IIV3). These trials were evaluated in 2 data poolings: first-dose randomized controlled trials (FD-RCT) and revaccination trials. Spontaneously reported adverse events (AEs) from post-marketing surveillance were also analyzed.
The percentages of subjects reporting AEs following vaccination were similar between aIIV3 and IIV3: 24.8% for aIIV3 vs 26.7% for IIV3 (relative risk [RR] 0.94; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.87-1.01). The percentage of subjects with serious AEs was 6.7% for aIIV3 vs 7.0% for IIV3 (RR 0.95; 95% CI 0.82-1.09). Percentages of subjects with AEs leading to withdrawal, hospitalizations, adverse events of special interest (AESIs), and deaths between vaccination groups were similar. There was no signal of disproportionality for AESIs associated with aIIV3 compared to IIV3 in the post-marketing database.
This integrated safety analysis demonstrates an acceptable safety profile for aIIV3 in adults ≥65 years of age.
- Molecular pathogenic and host range determinants of reassortant Egyptian low pathogenic avian influenza H9N2 viruses from backyard chicken 10 hours ago
- A novel framework for evaluating the impact of individual decision-making on public health outcomes and its potential application to study antiviral treatment collection during an influenza pandemic 10 hours ago
- A Risk Classification Model to Predict Mortality Among Laboratory-Confirmed Avian Influenza A H7N9 Patients: A Population-Based Observational Cohort Study 10 hours ago
- Development and evaluation of a conventional RT-PCR for differentiating emerging influenza B/Victoria lineage viruses with hemagglutinin amino acid deletion from B/Yamagata lineage viruses 3 days ago
- Comparative effectiveness of high dose versus adjuvanted influenza vaccine: A retrospective cohort study 5 days ago