Adisasmito W, et al. Surveillance and characterisation of influenza viruses among patients with influenza-like illness in Bali, Indonesia, July 2010~June 2014. BMC Infect Dis. 2019 Mar 7;19(1):231
Although Indonesia has high fatality rate of human A/H5N1 cases, epidemiological and clinical data on influenza virus circulation among humans has been limited. Within Indonesia, Bali province is of interest due to high population densities of humans, pigs and poultry. This study aims to characterize and compare the epidemiological and clinical patterns of influenza viruses in humans through surveillance among patients with influenza-like illness (ILI) in Bali, Indonesia.
ILI patients were recruited at 21 sentinel health facilities across all nine regencies in Bali, from July 2010 to June 2014. PCR-based assays were used for detection and subtyping of influenza viruses. Demographic, behavioural and clinical data were tested for associations with influenza using chi-squared tests and logistic regression.
Of 2077 ILI patients, 291 (14.0%) tested positive for influenza A, 152 (7.3%) for influenza B, and 16 (0.77%) for both influenza A and B. Of the influenza A isolates, the majority 61.2% were A/H3N2, followed by A/H1N1-pdm09 (80; 26.1%). Two A/H5N1 were identified. Influenza positive rates were significantly higher during wet season months (28.3%), compared with the dry season (13.8%; χ2 =?61.1; df?=?1; p 0.0001). Clinical predictors for infection varied by virus type, with measured fever (≥38?°C) more strongly associated with influenza B (AOR: 1.62; 95% CI: 1.10, 2.39).
Influenza circulates year-round among humans in Bali with higher activity during the wet season. High contact rates with poultry and pigs, along with influenza virus detection that could not be subtyped through conventional assays, highlight the need for molecular studies to characterize epidemiological and evolutionary dynamics of influenza in this setting.
- Low ambient humidity impairs barrier function and innate resistance against influenza infection 4 days ago
- Recovery of influenza A viruses from lake water and sediments by experimental inoculation 4 days ago
- Differential Effects of Influenza Virus NA, HA Head, and HA Stalk Antibodies on Peripheral Blood Leukocyte Gene Expression during Human Infection 4 days ago
- Analysis of geographic location and pathways for influenza A virus infection of commercial upland game bird and conventional poultry farms in the United States of America 4 days ago
- Interesting post-mortem findings in a H1N1 influenza-positive pneumonia patient 4 days ago