Wang Z, et al. Enhanced cross-lineage protection induced by recombinant H9N2 avian influenza virus inactivated vaccine. Vaccine. 2019 Feb 20.
Antigenic drift of H9N2 low pathogenic avian influenza viruses (AIV) may result in vaccination failure in the poultry industry and thus a cross-protective vaccine against H9N2 AIV is highly desirable.
A series of H9N2 recombinant viruses with the internal genes of A/Puerto Rico/8/34 (H1N1, PR8) were generated, based on the compatibility between HA and NA, the effect of HA deglycosylation, and protective antigenic epitopes in HA. After evaluation of their biological and immunological characteristics, three recombinant AIVs with the internal genes of the Y280-like strain SN were selected for protective efficacy studies.
The recombinant viruses rHASNNA3, rHASN-△200, rHASN-△287, and rHASN-R92G-E93K displayed good cross reactivity and induced higher neutralization antibody titers against both SN and the F98-like strain YZ4. Furthermore, those recombinant viruses had a higher EID50 in chicken embryos after the replacement of internal-gene backbone from PR8 to SN. The rSNHA-△200 induced better protection in immunized chickens against challenge of homologous and heterologous H9N2 avian influenza viruses when compared with the wild type strain.
The recombinant virus rSNHA-△200 can be used as a potential broad-spectrum vaccine against H9N2 avian influenza.
- Molecular pathogenic and host range determinants of reassortant Egyptian low pathogenic avian influenza H9N2 viruses from backyard chicken 9 hours ago
- A novel framework for evaluating the impact of individual decision-making on public health outcomes and its potential application to study antiviral treatment collection during an influenza pandemic 10 hours ago
- A Risk Classification Model to Predict Mortality Among Laboratory-Confirmed Avian Influenza A H7N9 Patients: A Population-Based Observational Cohort Study 10 hours ago
- Development and evaluation of a conventional RT-PCR for differentiating emerging influenza B/Victoria lineage viruses with hemagglutinin amino acid deletion from B/Yamagata lineage viruses 3 days ago
- Comparative effectiveness of high dose versus adjuvanted influenza vaccine: A retrospective cohort study 5 days ago