Dadak M, et al. Varying Patterns of CNS Imaging in Influenza A Encephalopathy in Childhood. Clin Neuroradiol. 2019 Jan 4
The brain imaging findings in children with neurological complications associated with influenza A infections are presented and analyzed and pathological imaging changes including atypical intracerebral hemorrhages in these patients are discussed.
Neuroimaging findings in six children with influenza encephalopathy following influenza A infection between 2012-2017 were retrospectively investigated. Of these five underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and one computed tomography (CT). Gene analysis was performed in two cases with acute necrotizing encephalitis of childhood (ANEC).
The MRI findings of one child were concordant with mild encephalopathy with a reversible splenial lesion (MERS); this patient recovered but remained aphasic. In two cases MRI showed typical bilateral thalamic lesions as a feature of ANEC; genetic testing facilitated the diagnosis in one case. One of the patients died, the other showed little improvement. The remaining three patients had multiple diffuse cerebral hemorrhages predominantly affecting the supratentorial white matter after influenza A infection complicated by pneumonia, rhabdomyolysis and sepsis requiring extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
Neurological complications in children associated with influenza A infection may include MERS and ANEC. Additionally, atypical disseminated intracerebral hemorrhages as a complication of influenza A infection is reported.
- Serological Evidence of Influenza D Virus Circulation Among Cattle and Small Ruminants in France 15 hours ago
- Comparison of Avian Influenza Virus Contamination in the Environment Before and After Massive Poultry H5/H7 Vaccination in Zhejiang Province, China 15 hours ago
- Adaptive amino acid substitutions enhance the virulence of an avian-origin H6N1 influenza virus in mice 15 hours ago
- Emergence of waterfowl-originated gene cassettes in HPAI H7N9 viruses caused severe human infection in Fujian, China 3 days ago
- Detection of oseltamivir-resistant zoonotic and animal influenza A viruses using the rapid influenza antiviral resistance test 3 days ago