Pawestri HA, Nugraha AA, Hariastuti NI, Setiawaty. Detection of neuraminidase inhibitor-resistant influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 viruses obtained from influenza surveillance in Indonesia. SAGE Open Med. 2018 Dec 10;6:2050312118818293
Influenza antiviral resistance has been shown to occur in many countries and is commonly found in influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and A(H3N2). In this study, we monitored and investigated the neuraminidase inhibitor resistance of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses through the influenza surveillance system in Indonesia.
A total of 4752 clinical specimens were collected from patients with influenza-like illness and severe acute respiratory infection during the year 2016. An allelic discrimination assay was conducted by a single base substitution or a single-nucleotide polymorphism that is specific to the H275 wild-type and Y275 mutant. Sequencing was performed to confirm the H275Y mutations, and we analysed the phylogenetic relationship.
The first occurrence of oseltamivir-resistant influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 was observed in the samples from the influenza-like illness surveillance. Two H275Y oseltamivir-resistant viruses (0.74%) out of 272 influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 positives were found. Both of them were collected from untreated patients.
The number of oseltamivir-resistant influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses in Indonesia is very low. However, it is necessary to continue with active surveillance for oseltamivir resistance in severe and mild cases.
- Serological Evidence of Influenza D Virus Circulation Among Cattle and Small Ruminants in France 7 hours ago
- Comparison of Avian Influenza Virus Contamination in the Environment Before and After Massive Poultry H5/H7 Vaccination in Zhejiang Province, China 7 hours ago
- Adaptive amino acid substitutions enhance the virulence of an avian-origin H6N1 influenza virus in mice 7 hours ago
- Emergence of waterfowl-originated gene cassettes in HPAI H7N9 viruses caused severe human infection in Fujian, China 2 days ago
- Detection of oseltamivir-resistant zoonotic and animal influenza A viruses using the rapid influenza antiviral resistance test 2 days ago