Kang HR, Lee EK, Kim WJ, Shin JY. Risk of neuropsychiatric adverse events associated with the use of oseltamivir: a nationwide population-based case-crossover study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018 Nov 12
Although the potential risk of neuropsychiatric adverse events (NPAEs) upon administration of oseltamivir has been raised in case reports, the association between the use of oseltamivir and the risk of NPAEs is unclear.
We aimed to evaluate whether the use of oseltamivir triggers NPAEs.
Patients and methods:
We conducted a population-based case-crossover study using the National Sample Cohort data from the National Health Insurance Service in South Korea. From a total of 236?348 incident patients with NPAEs as either a primary or secondary diagnosis, our final case series included 5322 patients with a prior prescription for oseltamivir between 2009 and 2013. Exposure to oseltamivir was assessed during 2, 7, 14, 28 and 56?day hazard periods prior to each patient´s NPAE. Three pre-consecutive control periods were matched using the same time windows. Conditional logistic regression analysis was used to estimate adjusted ORs (aORs), adjusting for time-variant diagnosis of influenza and concomitant medications.
Matched analyses found a consistently increased risk of NPAEs associated with the use of oseltamivir in the 2?day (aOR 1.90, 95% CI 1.29-2.81), 7?day (aOR 1.32, 95% CI 1.00-1.74), 14?day (aOR 1.28, 95% CI 1.03-1.60), 28?day (aOR 1.25, 95% CI 1.06-1.47) and 56?day (aOR 1.13, 95% CI 0.99-1.29) hazard periods compared with use in the three control periods.
This study found that the short-term use of oseltamivir triggers the incidence of NPAEs. Early monitoring of NPAEs may be required when prescribing oseltamivir with careful consideration of the risk-benefit balance of oseltamivir.
- A novel reassortant influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in swine in Shandong Province, eastern China 12 hours ago
- Nosocomial transmission of influenza: A retrospective cross-sectional study using next generation sequencing at a hospital in England (2012-2014) 12 hours ago
- Identification of a type-specific promoter element that differentiates between influenza A and B viruses 12 hours ago
- Safety and immunogenicity of investigational seasonal influenza hemagglutinin DNA vaccine followed by trivalent inactivated vaccine administered intradermally or intramuscularly in healthy adults: An 12 hours ago
- Effect of closure of live poultry markets in China on prevention and control of human infection with H7N9 avian influenza: a case study of four cities in Jiangsu Province 12 hours ago