Dr?g?nescu A, et al. The influenza season 2016/17 in Bucharest, Romania - surveillance data and clinical characteristics of patients with influenza-like illness admitted to a tertiary infectious diseases hospital. Braz J Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 31
Influenza continues to drive seasonal morbidity, particularly in settings with low vaccine coverage.
To describe the influenza cases and viral circulation among hospitalized patients.
A prospective study based on active surveillance of inpatients with influenza-like illness (ILI) from a tertiary hospital in Bucharest, Romania, in the season 2016/17.
A total of 446 patients were tested, with a balanced gender distribution. Overall, 192 (43%) patients tested positive for influenza, with the highest positivity rate in the age groups 3-13 years and >65 years. Peak activity occurred between weeks 1 and 16/2017, with biphasic distribution: a viruses were replaced by B viruses from week 9/2017; B viruses predominated (66.1%). Among the 133 (69.3%) subtyped samples, all influenza A were subtype H3 (n=57) and all influenza B were B/Victoria (n=76). Patients who tested positive for influenza presented fewer comorbidities (p=0.012), except for the elderly, in whom influenza was more common in patients with comorbidities (p=0.050). DISEASE: outcome was generally favorable on antiviral treatment. The length of hospital stay was slightly longer in ILI patients negative for influenza (p=0.031).
Distinctive co-circulation of A/H3 and B/Victoria in Bucharest, Romania in the 2016/17 influenza season was found. While the A/H3 subtype was predominant throughout Europe that season, B/Victoria appears to have circulated specifically in Romania and the Eastern European region, predominantly affecting preschoolers and school children.
- The epidemiological signature of influenza B virus and its B/Victoria and B/Yamagata lineages in the 21st century 6 days ago
- Generation of a protective murine monoclonal antibody against the stem of influenza hemagglutinins from group 1 viruses and identification of resistance mutations against it 6 days ago
- Rapid evolution of Mexican H7N3 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses in poultry 6 days ago
- Influenza Viruses in Mice: Deep Sequencing Analysis of Serial Passage and Effects of Sialic Acid Structural Variation 6 days ago
- Exogenous Interleukin-33 Contributes to Protective Immunity via Cytotoxic T-Cell Priming against Mucosal Influenza Viral Infection 6 days ago