Poon CM, Yi Wong EL, Chau PYK, Yau SY, Yeoh EK. Management decision of hospital surge: assessing seasonal upsurge in inpatient medical bed occupancy rate among public acute hospitals in Hong Kong.. QJM. 2018 Oct 5.
There were recurrent upsurges in demand for public hospital services in Hong Kong. An understanding of the contribution of some possible factors for the rise in health care burden would help to inform hospital management strategies.
To evaluate the utilisation patterns of hospitalizations in medical wards among public acute hospitals in Hong Kong during surge periods.
By extracting the information in press releases between 2014 and 2018, descriptive statistics about medical ward occupancy situation during six surge periods were generated. A time series model was constructed to estimate the occupancy rate at each hospital and assess its relationship with the intensity of seasonal influenza activity, extreme weather, day of week and long holidays.
There was a significant increase in the number of admissions to medical wards in all six surge periods. A significant variation in occupancy rate between weekdays and geographic regions was observed. The occupancy rate in 10, out of 15, hospitals was significantly associated with the influenza activity, while there was limited effect of weather on the occupancy rate. A significant holiday effect was observed during Christmas and Chinese New Year, resulting in a lower bed occupancy rate.
A differential burden in public hospitals during surge periods was reported. Contingency bed and staff management shall be tailored to individual hospitals, given their differences in the determinants for inpatient bed occupancy.
- Effect of influenza H1N1 neuraminidase V116A and I117V mutations on NA activity and sensitivity to NA inhibitors 14 hours ago
- Detection of influenza D virus in bovine respiratory disease samples, U.K 14 hours ago
- A single amino acid change in hemagglutinin reduces the cross-reactivity of antiserum against an equine influenza vaccine strain 14 hours ago
- Early T-BET Expression Ensures an Appropriate CD8+ Lineage–Specific Transcriptional Landscape after Influenza A Virus Infection 14 hours ago
- Deep sequencing of 2009 influenza A/H1N1 virus isolated from volunteer human challenge study participants and natural infections 1 days ago