Alenazi BR, Hammad SM, Mohamed AE. Prevalence of seasonal influenza vaccination among primary healthcare workers in Arar city, Saudi Arabia. Electron Physician. 2018 Aug 25;10(8):7217-7223.
Influenza outbreaks occur annually and have significant ramifications on the wellbeing of the population. Influenza is given high priority in Saudi Arabia where numerous reports of different types of influenza outbreaks have occurred in recent years.
The study aimed to determine the prevalence of influenza vaccination among healthcare providers.
The study employed a cross-sectional design, and data was collected using a predesigned questionnaire which was validated by a panel of experts and tested for reliability (Cronbach´s alpha =0.8). All primary healthcare workers in Arar city (Saudi Arabia) were taken as a comprehensive sample between January and March 2018. The questionnaire used a Likert scale that assessed the reasons for embracing or rejecting the influenza vaccines. A p-value of ≤0.05 was considered statistically significant.
In total, 204 health professionals (72 physicians, 102 nurses and 30 other staff members) filled the questionnaire. The mean age of the healthcare professionals was 31.9±8.7 years. Self-report of seasonal influenza vaccination uptake was 55.9% (65.3% for physicians, 55.9% for nurses and 33.3% for other staff). Perceived risk of severity of influenza was 2.5 times more in the compliant group than that of the non-compliant group (p<0.001, 95% CI: 1.4-4.4).
Utilization of influenza vaccine is 55% in both nurses and physicians despite 89% of them being aware of influenza vaccination guidelines and MOH recommendations. It is needed to ensure the intensive education of healthcare providers to understand the protective value of influenza vaccine.
- The cellular localization of avian influenza virus PB1-F2 protein alters the magnitude of IFN2 promoter and NFκB-dependent promoter antagonism in chicken cells 4 hours ago
- Baloxavir marboxil susceptibility of influenza viruses from the Asia-Pacific, 2012-2018 23 hours ago
- Packaging of the Influenza Virus Genome Is Governed by a Plastic Network of RNA- and Nucleoprotein-Mediated Interactions 2 days ago
- H5N8 and H7N9 packaging signals constrain HA reassortment with a seasonal H3N2 influenza A virus 2 days ago
- Characterization of Mouse Monoclonal Antibodies Against the HA of A(H7N9) Influenza Virus 2 days ago