Hemida MG, Perera RAPM, Chu DKW, Alnaeem AA. Evidence of equine influenza A (H3N8) activity in horses from Eastern and Central Saudi Arabia: 2013-2015. Equine Vet J. 2018 Aug 3.
Equine Influenza Virus (EIV) is one of the main causes of viral respiratory affections in horses. Little is known about the prevalence of EIV in Saudi Arabia especially the H3N8 serotype.
To assess prevalence of equine influenza in horse populations in Eastern and Central Saudi Arabia.
Cross sectional study.
We collected 145 sera, 323 nasal and 323 rectal swabs from horses from six major cities in Eastern and Central regions. None of the horses were vaccinated against EIV. Sera were tested in ELISA assays for influenza A type specific antibodies and by haemagglutination inhibition (HI) tests using equine H3N8. The swabs were tested by RT-qPCR assay targeting a conserved region of the influenza A matrix gene that detects influenza A viruses of all subtypes.
None of the swabs had detectable influenza A virus RNA. Of the 145 serasamples tested by ELISA, 81 (55.9%) were positive and 98 (67.6%) of 145 sera tested by HI tests were positive for equine H3.
Our failure to detect and sequence any EIV prevents identification of the lineage of virus that circulates in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
These results confirm that EIV H3N8 is circulating in Saudi Arabia and should be considered as a possible cause when investigating horses with respiratory disease in Saudi Arabia.
- Antigenic drift originating from changes to the lateral surface of the neuraminidase head of influenza A virus 1 days ago
- Intranasally administered polyethylenimine adjuvanted influenza M2 ectodomain induces partial protection against H9N2 influenza A virus infection in chickens 1 days ago
- Efficacy of novel recombinant fowlpox vaccine against recent Mexican H7N3 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus 1 days ago
- Potent and broad-spectrum cycloheptathiophene-3-carboxamide compounds that target the PA-PB1 interaction of influenza virus RNA polymerase and possess a high barrier to drug resistance 1 days ago
- High-dose influenza vaccination 1 days ago